FZ6 vs. Xj6?

t2.3aero

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys new to the Fz6 scene looking to make first purchase. I owned a cbr600 and my back decided to sell it for me. I am looking at buying buying a 2008 Fz6 with 2200 miles. I had a simple newbie question i keep hearing about a XJ6 version a Fz6 s2 version and the Fz6r. I want to be sure i am not getting the lower rated engine. The unfaired FZ6 with a 14k redline is the more powerful one corrrect? i just need to be sure i am not getting the lower rated one. thanks guys for the info. does that sound like a good deal?

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
If you live in the US you don't really have a choice. You can either buy the FZ6 (14k redline, about 90+ hp and small fairing) or you can buy a FZ6R (12K redline, about 72 hp and full plastic). I believe that the FZ6R is called the XJ6 in Europe.

I have both sitting in my garage at the moment (my FZ6 and my buddy's FZ6R). To my mind the FZ6 is a better built bike with better components (Alloy frame vs Steel tubing, 4 pot front calipers vs 2 pot, more comfortable seat, larger rear tire, better swing arm).

There are also minor differences (FZ6r doesn't have 4 way flashers, it doesn't have intake temperature display, doesn't have variable back light for instrument display, only has 1 turn signal indicator, doesn't have a real helmet lock).

Although on paper the FZ6 has 20hp more we are new riders so haven't seen much of a difference in performance.

t2.3aero

Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect thanks alot man i know it was a newbie question but there is so much confusing info out there. all i need to know is i live in the us and im buying a 2008 FZ6 naked bike it should be a nicer bike with more power and less plastic :) thanks again. now is the time to buy

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't mention it. I see the 2 bikes sitting in my garage side by side and I just can't work it out. The FZ6 has more power, better components and to my eye looks better, but was cheaper than the FZ6R (and has now been discontinued so is probably an even bigger bargain now).

Enjoy your bike.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
any idea if the fz6r (xj6) race fairings can fit fz6s2? esp the side/lower fairings? i cannot find fz6 full set of race fairings, at most only the headlight cowling.. whereas fz6r have full race fairings if i am not wrong.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
The Fz6 isn't really a good bike for starting as a first bike, I found out the hard way. I dropped twice in a week, once on each side. Although once you learn what you have, and how to control it, you'll love the Fz6.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't mention it. I see the 2 bikes sitting in my garage side by side and I just can't work it out. The FZ6 has more power, better components and to my eye looks better, but was cheaper than the FZ6R (and has now been discontinued so is probably an even bigger bargain now).

Enjoy your bike.

Not sure when you bought your FZ6, but I know the FZ6r's MSRP is supposed to be lower than the FZ6. Either you got a great deal or your buddy got hosed. Oh well, a great time will be had on both!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
There was some cash back from Yamaha on the FZ6 that wasn't available for the R so mine ended up being about $100 less than the R out the door. The dealer actually took the $100 off the R so that we ended up paying the same.

My buddy likes bikes covered in plastic and I don't. It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things.