FZ6 Wannabe

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm getting back on two wheels again after a few months without a ride. I had my sights set on a Suzuki SV650 but after riding a 2003 model yesterday I really didn't enjoy the riding position and wanted a comparison with a FZ6, after a test ride I was blown away with how good it is.
Can I please get some advice on what to look for on the FZ6? For instance if it has any common faults. The bike in question is a newer shape, faired, 2004 model with 17,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's an S1 model, Mate - you'd be better served getting an S2, if you can, as they fixed up the throttle mapping and a few other things.

Don't get me wrong, I have an S1 (2005 model) and love it, but the S2 (2007+) is more refined.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is it? (and has it had the TPS replaced under the factory recall?)

Cheers,
Rick

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
That's an S1 model, Mate - you'd be better served getting an S2, if you can, as they fixed up the throttle mapping and a few other things.

Don't get me wrong, I have an S1 (2005 model) and love it, but the S2 (2007+) is more refined.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is it? (and has it had the TPS replaced under the factory recall?)

Cheers,
Rick

It's £3000 (not sure what that is in Oz pennies lol) which is my upper limit, so unfortunately I think an S2 will out of my price range.

What is the TPS?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not too sure about bike pricing in the UK, but I purchased my 2005 FZ6 in 2011 for $5500 with 20000kms. Just thinking £3000 might be a bit high?

The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor, which had a recall by Yamaha.

The good thing, is that it is covered for the first replacement for the life of the bike, so if it HASN'T been done, if you take it to a Yamaha service agent they'll do it at no cost.

Cheers,
Rick

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
Hi folks,

I'm getting back on two wheels again after a few months without a ride. I had my sights set on a Suzuki SV650 but after riding a 2003 model yesterday I really didn't enjoy the riding position and wanted a comparison with a FZ6, after a test ride I was blown away with how good it is.
Can I please get some advice on what to look for on the FZ6? For instance if it has any common faults. The bike in question is a newer shape, faired, 2004 model with 17,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

£3000 is expensive for an 04 at 17,000 miles. You should be able to pick up a 2006 model at around 10,000 miles for that price, if not cheaper.

example: YAMAHA FZ 600 cc FZ6 (06MY)

Although, it depends how far you can travel out to get the bike you want. Most bike companies can deliver anywhere in the UK, but you'd want to see it in person first.

I've got an S1 06 model and I'm super pleased with it.

Last edited:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
By comparrison my '05 was £2200 with 40k miles but thats with a full service history by Yamaha every 3k miles and a good few extras such as renthal bars, luggage rack, scott oiler and color coded top box.

Is it just stock?

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I would rather ride and check any bike over before I commit to the buy but unfortunately travelling any big distance is a struggle for me at the moment with my job and family.

By comparrison my '05 was £2200 with 40k miles but thats with a full service history by Yamaha every 3k miles and a good few extras such as renthal bars, luggage rack, scott oiler and color coded top box.

Is it just stock?

It's got a belly pan, crash protectors and black anodised shortened stubby handlebar levers. It may have other bits 'n' bobs but I didn't get the chance to get a long look over before closing time, I had intended on a return visit for further checks with a view to buying if all was well.