FZ6R vs CBR500R vs KTM 390 Duke

Venom XR Turbo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

with a view down the track to undertake regular track days on superbikes, I am looking for key pros and cons of these three bikes to start out with (under the Australian 47hp cap LAMS scheme). The FZ6R here in Australia is only registered as a restricted Learner motorcycle.

Price is within $1K of one another for all three, so lets remove it from the equation.

From what I gather, and my opinions:

CBR500R:
- essentially a very user friendly, softcore sports bike that is still trackable, and one of the most versatile options for learners and experienced riders alike.
- going to be best quality of the three, and most reliable
- enough pep in its 45hp to keep things interesting, however no option to 'derestrict' like with a FZ6R (so pow could become a little boring before long)
- sets the rider up as a nice intro to the world of sports bikes
- uninspiring twin engine sound

KTM 390 Duke Forum:
- crazy paint scheme! (luckily no one can see you behind your visor!).
- awesome pow-weight, 44hp and being far far lighter than the CBR
- more a super motard/naked, than a sports/sports tourer, yet can still carve a track
- low top speed (150kph).... not so fun on a circuit
- probably the most telling bike to learn how to push the limits/tires on
- set to keep exciting the owner long after 12 months because of its handling
- its light weight might be super fun, but may not best prepare me for the next jump to a 600 or 750 super sports bike like the other two bikes here
- sounds like a refined dirt bike with its single cyl - not a nice sound at all to my ears.

FZ6R (second hand):
- a proper grown up bike with a (restricted) older gen R6 engine derivative
- has the (risky for insurance and legality) option of de-restricting, unleashing 78hp which will be nice after getting used to the bike and partaking in a few advance riding courses on circuit (although I am not sure how 'track' orientated this bike is?)
- has a great 600cc sound, especially with a 2Bros exhaust - just the sound I always imagined when I would one day be carving the great ocean road each morning...

I have always been quick to get bored of the power iv got, whether it be jet skis, snowmobiles, or (my extremely quick, modified to 680hp) car, and have a background in circuit (car) racing. HOWEVER, I plan on learning to ride correctly and form a good base for the future, allowing for circuit training, and I certainly have the experience to know to respect the power beneath me.
In saying that, whilst learning to handle a bike properly, after a short while I will certainly want to feel a little more exhilarated that what your average Ninja 250 (yawn) offers in terms of power.

What I am after here is not advice on how I shouldn't be worried about power before starting to ride etc etc - I have experienced much more powerful bikes than these, however am restricted to LAMS bike right now, and do not entertain pushing the law while I learn how to explore a bike's true potential.

So, are there any major points I might be missing, or advice from those who have a) sampled these bikes on the road and/or circuit, and b) faced the same or similar dilemma?

Cheers guys,
Venom

Last edited by a moderator:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Personally I'd wait for the new MT-09 (FZ-09) light weight plenty of power. Or if you can find one the FZ6S very good handling and close to 100HP. The R even unrestricted won't give you the top end thrill of the S.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
The R would be fun to start on but is not the same as an S. If you are looking to go to a track bike I would be tempted to go with the Honda - learn how it handles then pick up an older CBR600RR or R6 or no no no cant believe I almost said GXR! Seriously an older supersport with adjustable suspension would be great on the track. The CBR500 would still be a good commuter, OK for weekend trips etc. It's amazing how many times I get on my bike but never get over 8 or 9 K. Do I really need the HP? Of course cause when I do crank on it . . .

Venom XR Turbo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

Still nothing standing out to me as a clear winner.... so further to the initial post, and following on from your comments, some more thoughts/questions to consider i suppose:

1) Which bike will be best to teach me how to reach the limits of adhesion on a track? (provide the most feedback, in a sportsbike manner, to set me up for learning the best habits for the future)

2) I have heard a motard style is best to learn adhesion limits - but does this apply for trying to learn the best traits for a sports bike?

3) I think the KTM will be the quickest in all scenarios until you get up to higher speeds on a circuit. BUT, I think the other two are best for general riding with their commuter design engines.

4) CBR vs FZ6R - is the FZ6R a silly choice for track, as a first bike, because of its weight (despite better braking and potential power upgrade)?

5) Not interested in an old bike - i like new school looks, and want reliability. Warranty is also a plus with the CBR and KTM, but not a deal breaker for the right FZ6R

6) I am 178cm tall

Thank you guys, an exciting choice!
Venom

Last edited:

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
It's I was you I would be looking at a ninja 300, personally I would pick it over a cbr500.
Power to weight ratio is better on the 300 than the 500. Top end is not that much slower and more flickable in the corners.
If preferring used...fz6r is a no brainer.