2005 vs 2006 vs 2007 FZ6

Tunker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I am interested in getting my first sports bike since I'm getting tired of my slow KLR. I was wondering how big are the differences between 2005 and 2006 and between 2006 and 2007? I was hoping to get a second gen(2007-2009) FZ6 but the prices within easy driving distance are crazy(one guy is asking 5k). How much of a difference between the 2005 and 2006 models? Is one strongly better than the other? I heard there were some improvements to the EFI. Secondly how big is the jump between the 2006 and 2007 models? Will I hate the 2006 model?

I also see 20010+ FZ6R for decent prices but I don't like the look as much, it's only the 2007-2009 that I am having a problem finding.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, they are essentially the same. There are visual differences, but functionally they are the same bike. Given a choice, I would just choose the bike that is in better condition.

The FZ6R is a different bike. It would not be on my shopping list. It gained ABS, but it lost about 20 horsepower. It’s not actually a successor of the FZ6 as it is a touring bike. The 2010 successor of the FZ6 is the FZ8.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The S2 (2007 and up) front brakes are improved from the S1 with 4 pistons on each caliper. The dash and swingarm are generally considered an improvement as well... An added CAT (S2), and some other minor differences also.

As stated, they are essentially the same bike. Find one maintained and you should be good..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gary is right.... the one in the better condition is the best bike. I have an 05, and I agree with Scott that the 4 piston front brakes and revised tach are step ups, but I have never ended a ride thinking 'that would have been so much better with a nicer dash'.

And then there are mods.....

If you look at my 05 in my profile picture, you will see 4 piston calipers. That's because I did a very easy upgrade and installed R6 forks. Things like this are a MUST HAVE (IMHO) regardless of the year you buy. Regardless if you install R6 forks or upgrade the stock forks with Gold Valve Emulators, this mod will reward you every time you ride.

Just be wary of anyone who tells you that certain COLORS are better than others (sorry Scott) :)

Good luck and post up your progress and questions... we're here to help.

Tunker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I was mostly worried about the EFI - I heard the 2007 model was a big step up for control/smoothness. Should I be worried about that?

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 05 FZ6 Fazer (semi faired) I had the money 6 years ago, to buy an S2 or street triple r whatever, in Ireland FZ6'S were like hens teeth... there was a couple of S2's high miles, and one had been down. I waited 6 months and bought an 05 diamond black very low mileage and mint condition, its the Best bike I've ever owned (riding 20 years) I would have loved the S2 swing arm and brakes, I will do the brakes though at some stage soon, the S1 brakes are fine, since I upgraded the front fork springs I'd like to do the brakes as well, in September I'm throwing a Nitron R3 rear shock on, and changing the fork internals to a full cartridge system.
Reason for dramatic suspension upgrades is just cause how I ride it.. like a controlled and sensible hooligan (if that makes any sense) as the boys here said, get a bike in excellent condition, that's the main thing! all mods can be done after :)

Welcome to the site, btw this will be your new home if you get an FZ6, the lads on here's knowledge is pure gold, and they are quick to respond, be safe bro!

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Above there is not a big enough difference, i have an 05 as well, and putting braided break lines on will make more of a differnece to the break feel than the new calipers. also if they are the original lines they need to be replaced by now anyway.
Fork upgrade is a must on these bikes, either new springs as the cheap way out or go the whole way with R6 forks, you wont regret either. IMHO just new springs for your weight is all that is needed.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05. All things being equal (e.g. comparing bikes of similar mileage/shape), I'd pick the '07.... nicer instrument cluster, some add'l options on windscreens, nicer swingarm, etc. But _nothing_ wrong with '05/'06, and I have no reason to change from what I have.