Gas tank static electricity risk

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok.. so I had painted my Fz6 last spring. The reason I haven't posted photos is the clear coat didn't come out well and I am not happy with the result

I plan on respraying the tank first in the fall and then the plastics over the winter

This time I very much do not want to have to empty the tank of all gas. Anyone who has done it knows it is a hassle. You cannot get all of the gas out and to get it dry you have to let it sit for weeks without the fuel pump installed and the gas fill removed to evaporate out all the gas.

I wanted this time to just run the tank as low as I can get it and leave the fuel pump in,

-.> Need I be concerned that using a DA sander would create static electricity inside the tank?
Asking please for people with experience doing this to let me know their opinion

Thanks all

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've painted a couple tanks and I would opt for tear down and cleaning. Once the bulk of the fuel is out, stand it up and stick a very small hose on syringe into rear area near the hinge. You should get 99.5% of the fuel and then use cotton towel for the rest. Done. Lay the towel in the sun or place it in burn barrel.

There is risk with a DA sander but I would think that is more weather and workspace dependent (i.e. dry low humidity days coupled with say vinyl/plastic sheeting or Styrofoam/padding and dust control) some materials will hold or create a charge while dry paper can dissipate energy. You could ground the tank and yourself with a static band. Usually a 1M ohm resistor to earth electric ground will drain off a charge from you and the tank.
Another factor with gas fumes is the type of paper used for sanding. The longer lasting harder materials can throw actual sparks. I never seen the common aluminum oxide paper do this, but it could if oversped.

I'd rinse it with something less flammable, do your work, rinse again. I say this as tape lines near fuel allows an entry point under the paint which can cause it to lift.

What happened with the clear application and do you know how to prevent it?

If the base color coat is good, how about wet sand the clear off and re-clear?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Randy -
thanks for this. the clear coat has speckles in it that wouldn't compound out. There's so much of it it hides the true color of the base coat. I imagine if I sand out the clear coat it could risk sanding into the base layer which would give an undesirable result. in a way it is incremental since it would have to be sanded out anyway and it couldn't hurt to do another round of cut and buff to see if the problem goes away.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wet sanding with 400 would be a starting point (use dish detergent and rubber backing). Dip and rinse often. If the imperfections come out before hitting base coat = GOOD! Apply clear and see how it looks!
Good luck!