gear change or not to gear change?

garyfz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, its been a long time since my last real visit. I have a question. I use my fz for touring mostly. Last year I put a 15 tooth sprocket on the front. Way different ride and far more comfortable for the roads I typically ride. In June of 2015 I plan on doing a long highway ride. Should I change back to stock or keep with the lower gearing. Total ride when done will be about 3500 miles. Looking for pros, cons, anybody else's experience with it? Thanks in advance. Keep the rubber side down!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest that you consider what roads you will be on. If you'll be on the slab, think about this issue.

I did a run from WV to Canton OH this past fall on I77 (250 miles round trip all on interstate) to do a demo ride on the FZ-09. It was great.

With the stock gearing and speedometer corrected by SpeedoDRD, my FZ6 runs at 6k to do 70 mph which is the prevailing speed limit on the interstates around where I live. At 6K, my bike is quite a bit more buzzy than at 5 or at 7. So I ran at 7k which was a bit over the limit but it shortened the transit time.

The FZ6 is happy to run at 7 or even higher - so you could stay with the 15t. But consider the speed limit. You probably don't want to run a long time at 6 to 6.5 k if only for discomfort from the extra vibration on the bars.

Chris

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you like it for 95% of what you do, I'd leave it. But if your asking the question, part of you wants too. So there is that and its easy! Am I helping? lol

Take some good chain lube with. Few last 400~500 miles...