Gearbox gremlin

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious to know if anyone who has a 2008 model suffered a rather strange problem.

I will rule out the usual lack of maintenance call by:
Bike has 33,000k's on it, always serviced on time every time & top quality oil always goes in. Last service was June/July only 4,000km ago

Whats happening, is that in the last month or so, on the upshift from 5 to 6 its like the bike gets hung between the gears, quite regularly. Quite scarily it happened yesterday afternoon accelerating up to speed entering a freeway.

So anyone else been a victim????

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not had that problem with my 08 at all. She's perfect:)

BTW, your avatar is still making me smile. Sorry.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me twice on the same ride. In my case, it could very well have been rider error. I was shifting really fast, and probably didn't give it enough time to reset. OR, it was the clutch being slightly out of adjustment. I adjusted the clutch cable, and payed more attention to my shifts, and it's been fine ever since. Just keep an eye on it. If it keeps doing it, and your certain it's not chain slack or some other niggle, then get it looked at. Don't want to be riding around with a bent selector or something else like that.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps a stretched gear postioning spring :don'tknow: Cant remember if the FZ6 has them , but it was a problem on my old CBR & did the same thing 4th to 5th..... Do you shift with or without the clutch ?? Could be a worn selecter fork or something as simple as getting LAZY & not preloading the shifter properly :thumbup:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike shop suggested chain slack, but it does seem to be normal. I do use the clutch all the time.

Know its not mis shifts, because ive always hit false neutrals for being far too gentle with my foot action.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could well be chain slack I guess , 4000 isnt tooo many K's to be massive slack but if its the original chain I spose it could be getting a bit tired :( If I remember correctly the chain on the Fizzer is 20-30mm tolerance :thumbup: Are you right with adjusting it or you gunna take it to the shop ??

Morrisey

Reaction score
Visit site
Curious to know if anyone who has a 2008 model suffered a rather strange problem.

I will rule out the usual lack of maintenance call by:
Bike has 33,000k's on it, always serviced on time every time & top quality oil always goes in. Last service was June/July only 4,000km ago

Whats happening, is that in the last month or so, on the upshift from 5 to 6 its like the bike gets hung between the gears, quite regularly. Quite scarily it happened yesterday afternoon accelerating up to speed entering a freeway.

So anyone else been a victim????

I have just rebuilt a 98 model with a similar problem. changing from 5th to 6th it had become a lottery if it was going to go into gear and stay in gear without the horrendous sound of gears crunching.

Upon opening it up the falt was easily diagnosed as the selector fork, it looked like it had been placed on a grindstone. Do you do a lot of motorway mileage?

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The chain slack would be awfully close to 30mm. Yep, it is the original chain. Will get it replaced next service. But I had a new tyre put on since last service & never had a problem. The Tyre Guru always adjusts it anyway (he does say to me if it was a lil slack)

Yes, about 12 months ago I moved & now my run to work takes in 15-20 kilometres of freeway riding each way.

But this morning as I left home gave the clutch adjuster 1 full turn as Novaks47 mentioned. No issue on this mornings ride.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad the bike is working for you now. Drive chain slack of 30mm sounds too tight for my liking. I always set to the low side of the spec range which is 45mm as I don't want to risk straining the drive train...

I like to keep a close watch on the following three adjustments:
1) drive chain slack (45mm - 55mm) - I set at 45mm.
2) clutch lever free play (10mm - 15mm) - I set close to the 15mm.
3) Throttle cable free play (3mm - 5mm) - I set at 0mm (one of the few places I deviate from the service manual).