Ghetto bead breaker (Ghetto Tire Balancer added too)

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
This look's easy too build and very strong...

Looks like a metal version of what we did here. Great if you have a welder/skills. It will be more compact and easier to use. More people have a hand drill and saw. Had I garage, I'd weld one up. Unfortunately my house w 2.5 car garage is in IL and I'm in MA. I moved last year and rented the house out to a nice young couple that seems to pay the rent on time.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rob, this is a cool thread and it brought out some really nice ideas! Thank all! Awesome fab work going on here!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rob, this is a cool thread and it brought out some really nice ideas! Thank all! Awesome fab work going on here!

No need for $400 tire changer, i am going to go to Home depot tonight and get the stuff for the $20 home made one. :) I will build it at some point this week as i am positive i will need a new tire when i get back from the FZ meet in VT.... I would change it before but i need to do so much other stuff first...

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
One note on the balancer. I bought some replacement roller blade bearings so I can use the axle from the bike. I placed two bearings at the "V" cut with a small gap between them. The "V" must be cut so the axle only touches the bearings.

I was lazy and bought the HF tire changer and a Mojolever. It paid for itself on the first set of tires. The HF changer has a bead breaker built in.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ghetto bead breaker

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The attached pdf is a dimensioned drawing of the parts. There may be misspellings I r not a spelar.. :)

This is only my ideas on how I would build it if I were to build it. I have not as of yet and someone else came up with the idea. Hope this can help someone.

I built this one exactly to the directions and it does not work.

Back to the drawing board. A broken handle, no leverage left me with cutting my tire off. but i did get the tire changed out, but with no help from this build.

The main issue i think with this on is that it was designed to be made with a single 2x4 board and it was far too small. I think the overall design was good and i might re-build it but it will be twice the size (Except the drop arm which will only be about 6 inches longer) I had no leverage on the bead and it was too close to the wall for me to set the drop arm correctly.

Just an FYI in case anyone was thinking of building it.

S

Shamus McFeeley

I've used this design ever since I found it:

Web Bike World link

Balancing is too easy when you use dynabeads.

Dyna Bead link

Very simple, very effective. Forget about paying to have tires mounted and balanced anymore, tires are expensive enough.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

I built this one exactly to the directions and it does not work.

Back to the drawing board. A broken handle, no leverage left me with cutting my tire off. but i did get the tire changed out, but with no help from this build.

The main issue i think with this on is that it was designed to be made with a single 2x4 board and it was far too small. I think the overall design was good and i might re-build it but it will be twice the size (Except the drop arm which will only be about 6 inches longer) I had no leverage on the bead and it was too close to the wall for me to set the drop arm correctly.

Just an FYI in case anyone was thinking of building it.

Thanks for the update. I pretty much drew that from other peoples designs. I'll try to remember to update it when I return to work Monday. Stronger arm, Longer arm. Any suggestions on length?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for the update. I pretty much drew that from other peoples designs. I'll try to remember to update it when I return to work Monday. Stronger arm, Longer arm. Any suggestions on length?

I would litterally make the whole arm twice as long, from mount to handle end, then the drop arm would have to be a bit longer (not twice as long since the until will not be twice as far from the floor) but maybe about 6 inches longer. it might also help to have the drop arm a bit further from the wall as well as the tire needs to be right at the wall for this design.

Nothing wrong with the design, it tool maybe 15-20 minutes to build and it is a sound design, but the size does not give enough leverage. and it is such a compact design that you find yourself working against the wall.

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
It says "small motorcycle" has anyone used that thing on a motorcycle on a 17" rim? they limit it to small motorcycle but then give no maximum size...

ive used this beaker and balancer on the rear tire of my CBR900RR which is the exact same size as the one on my FZ6. worked fine.