Givi Engine Guard Failure

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't own any Givi products but to my understanding makes great products.. There is an obvious flaw in their jig being off some as this isn't a one time occurance. In the first case just breaking riding over bumpy roads, IT SHOULD NOT BREAK. Had it been dropped, perhaps, it would have done its job. The second one, breaking after 5 months in the same area, WTF?

Looking at the original pictures, its very obvious either Yamaha engines are machined with a LOT OF SLOP in the main engine mounting holes (not) or Givi's jig if off just enough to cause problems.

Problems do arise in new products however, it should be addressed by the manufacturer and corrected..

Getting the runaround from GIVI as (they MADE the guard) IMHO is un-acceptable and piss poor customer service.

Folks spend enough for the part, they shouldn't have to pay again, to get it fixed correctly...

8:23am, FYI, I just forwarded this entire thread to GIVI headquarters. When/if I hear anything from them, I'll post it

I did receive an e-mail back from GIVI (with a link to THIS THREAD), they would look into it..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm extremely late to this thread but I'll add my 2cts as a metallurgist. I can't say if givi's jig is off or not but I'd be willing to bet a years salary that once welded all they did was paint them up or powder coat them when there should have been one other step before, stress relieving the brackets. If they were stress relieved chances are they would never crack or break, at least at the weld because most welds are way stronger than the material they are welded to. And without stress relieving the weld can become brittle and lead to a crack or failure.

Stress relieving FTW!!! Metallurgy FTW!!!Heat Treatments: Stress Relieving
Thanks the link was very useful. Is there anything that I do to reduce the occurrence of this type of fracture on my Hind engine guard?

Neil

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks the link was very useful. Is there anything that I do to reduce the occurrence of this type of fracture on my Hind engine guard?

Neil

Maybe....

Without knowing the exact process that was used in making the engine guards, what material was used, and if it had any heat treating (very doubtfully) the only thing that i would recommend that you could do at home is to temper them, your oven is big enough. Tempering -http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering#section_4
You could take them off remove any paint or powder coat, which you might not want to do and put them in your oven. Preheat your oven to 450*f, once it reaches that temp put the guards in, once the guards are in turn the temp down to 400*f and then start the clock. Generally tempering goes by the thickness of the material @1hr per 1" of thickness at the desired temperature, with 2hrs being the accepted minimum time on thinner materials to make sure the part is heated to a even temperature throughout. This would be about the best thing you could do at home to get some what of a stress relieving effect on the parts. @400*f the parts will loose some of their hardness (maybe 5 rockwell points depending on what material it is http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_scale#section_3 which is not that big of a difference) but will give the parts the best stress relief possible at home while also giving the parts a more even consistency of hardness throughout the entire piece, so that there won't be brittle spots around the weld making it a much better weld. It will essentially balance the piece out to a happy medium of being hard and ductile at the same time so in the event of a fall or just vibrations over a long period of time, the parts would bend before breaking. You could temper them at a lower temperature as well for different effects, if you did them at 300*f the pieces wouldn't loose any of their harness but they would not get as good of a stress relief either. I would stick to 400*f but you could go down to 300*f but what ever you decide to do, do not go over 400*. Let me know if you have any questions

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, something to consider.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2