GPS - Ram Mount - On My Mirror

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked though some of the threads on the site and have not found anyone who has tried this method of mounting their GPS. I wanted it to be stationary not moving with the handlebars so I figure why not give this a try, and seems to have worked. It is 75% shielded by the windscreen and the mirror stalk and hardware shield most of the rest of it from direct blast so it should be fine. I am going to give it a test run tonight when I finish cutting the grass. I like how it looks on the mirror, I used some black shrink wrap on the u-bolt and black plastic covers hot glued on the bolts so there is no shinny hardware clashing with the black mirror stalk. If it works here I'm going to route the wires nicer but want to try it out before I mess any further. I will say this about the ram mounts they are well built, and what a ingenious design simple and sturdy. I also like that when I am not using it there is only the rubber ball attached to my mirror.

Last edited:

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking forward to hearing how you like this. I have mine mounted to my handlebars and don't like that fact that it is out of my line of sight. I can't hear the voice prompts for when to turn so I find myself glancing down at it more often than I like.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking forward to hearing how you like this. I have mine mounted to my handlebars and don't like that fact that it is out of my line of sight. I can't hear the voice prompts for when to turn so I find myself glancing down at it more often than I like.

OK .. I rode about 12 miles, A little twisty and a little hwy and I like it. I get some vibration mostly in the twisties but if the highway get bumpy I get some there too. I don't think it would be much different if I put it on the handlebars and with the results I got I won't be moving it, I really like it on the mirror stalk. The vibrations are not so bad that you can't read the text and you can defiantly see the map well.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
That is a sweet way of mounting your GPS!!! Of all the mounting locations and combinations, I never thought of doing that! Very cool! Even better, I have the sam RAM mounts so I can give this position a try too!! :thumbup:

Cheers!!! :rockon:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I read the thread title I thought WTF as well, but the positioning is pretty good :thumbup:
a word of warning, be aware the paint work on the wing mirrors aren't great as you can see here so keep an eye on it.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I just mounted a RAM mount towards the center of the handlebars (just left of center, actually) and took a 2 day trip with it. After a little tweaking on the angle using the adjustable knob, I found it well in line of site, easy to read and easy to use. I was even able to use it with gloves on. cool!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Is is sheltered enough from the wind?

I will let you know after a couple more rides but I think so as most of it is behind the screen. What is not behind the screen is protected by the mounts plastic holder.

When I read the thread title I thought WTF as well, but the positioning is pretty good :thumbup:
a word of warning, be aware the paint work on the wing mirrors aren't great as you can see here so keep an eye on it.

Thanks for that, I will keep an eye open. I wonder what the cost would be to have those pieces rubber dipped, that would be nice.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Is is sheltered enough from the wind?

Yes. I just got back from a 100 mile ride and there was no no problems what so ever. I took the bike up to 90 MPH and it was solid. I didn't notice how readable the screen was at this speed as I was watching the road but just glancing at it, wasn't blowing around or anything. At 70 it is perfectly readable and I don't think it was any different at 90+ and the flip up antenna never flipped up from the wind. Here are a couple pictures notice the bugs are on the mount but not the gps unit or its holder. The black plastic holder part is the only exposed part of the unit, most of it is behind the winscreen.