Gps Tomtom rider 2 or the new Garmin Zumo 660

enjoy1974

Reaction score
Visit site

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a Zumo 550 and now have a Rider 2. IMO the Zumo is very robust and comes with useful route planning/recording software for your PC, but the Rider has the better screen display and more intuitive menus.

Not related to the unit itself, I have had a problem with the bike mounting shoe for the Rider 2. I had to return it 3 (3!) times before I got one that properly charged the unit while on the bike. Maybe just a bad manufacturing batch. Shows that TomTom has a good returns setup...

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Garmin 550 & really like it. Excellent touch screen, it's fairly rugged, been soaked many times, easy to use.The only thing close from Tom-Tom that I can compare it to is the Tom-Tom One that I bought to use a less expensive unit for a second automobile. More often than not, I take the Zumo in the car for long trips. :thumbup:

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the 660 pre-ordered for a while now and looks like it is being delayed by a little bit. As long as I get it by June, Newfoundland, Canada to Tail of the Dragon, oh yeah.

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the 660 pre-ordered for a while now and looks like it is being delayed by a little bit. As long as I get it by June, Newfoundland, Canada to Tail of the Dragon, oh yeah.

Now that's a sweet trip! Hit the Skyline & BlueRidge on the way down. I've been up to PEI and looped the Cabot in NS. Newfoundlands on my list someday. The GPS makes a long trip like that so much more relaxing. Plus you can find some great backroads & not worry about getting too lost or off track.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats my plan, interstates to the start of the Skyline/Blue Ridge and then let the fun begin. I also have some Mad Maps (MAD MAPS Scenic Road Trips). They have "driving" routes scouted out onto maps with warnings and tidbits. As well they are on Garmin's website to download right onto the gps.

darkrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the TomTom Rider II. Comes with the head set...nice. Waterproof as well. The only thing I don't like about it is, no MP3 capabilities...other than that, it's a solid unit. It also has extra's to easily convert to the Car and other Bluetooth devices.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
at a recent bike show i was told by an impartial gps dealer that he personally would avoid the tomtom brand like the plague,especially the "rider"..something to do with the way the reciever plates are mounted inside (in a cross configuration) ..apparently they rattle loose and give inaccurate info