Help on Rebuilding Calipers and finding the Yamaha Star shaped socket for the caliper

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, what happens is the brake seals get hard and don't want to flex with the piston.

As time progresses, the piston comes out further (the pads wear) and again, they don't want to retract
as the seals are hardened up.

The constant drag is the seals holding the piston(s) in it's spot...

Also, you can go for a ride, regular riding 10-15 minutes, stop some what slowly (to not heat the brakes) and CAREFULLY touch the rotor. If their dragging bad, the rotor will be very warm to hot. A thermal temp gun is an excellent tool to compare all rotors heat "output"..

**My old FJR (2004), after we came from a road trip, I found the front wheel barely able to spin.
The bike has the same calipers as my '07 FZ. That was the first set of seals/ calipers (4 pot) I did..

Cleaning, re-lubing old seals will work for a very short period of time, but they will need replacing..

TheKB

Reaction score
Visit site
Finished wrenching the chain and mudguard back on the bike and did refueling and shopping run on the bike. Rear brake wheel was plesantly warm to touch and both front brake wheels were cold to the touch. Outside temp was 14C (57F) and probably did excellent job cooling it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finished wrenching the chain and mudguard back on the bike and did refueling and shopping run on the bike. Rear brake wheel was plesantly warm to touch and both front brake wheels were cold to the touch. Outside temp was 14C (57F) and probably did excellent job cooling it.
Sounds like their not bad at all...

If you do a much harder brake/stop, then feel em. They'll be considerably hotter...