Help with any advice or knowledge.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my truck for sale on the non-motorcycle related buy/sale, I wanna, and auto trader. I have been advertising it for I know over 6 months now. I have not had one person contact or even ask a question about the truck. I don't mean you guys I mean the other sites no one has tried to contact me. What I was wanting help with is. Why do guys and ladies think I am not getting any bites. Do any of you guys see anything thats a turn off or something I could do better? I know you guys have a lot of knowledge, advice, and suggestions. I have seen it on the threads and just thought I would see if I could get some help from that. Thanks and take care.

Sry bout that thanks http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...-related-buy-sell/7613-07-chev-silverado.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
well dude..its not particularly you...you also have to remember that its a v8...you don't have the price too high or anything...haha...its funny saying this lol

but on average for an extra 3-5k a person can buy from dealer...which is worth for most ppl bc they think they'll get better service even though u have a warranty...also alot of ppl in this day and age are financing...which also draws them into a dealership...

imo, you need to find a way to make your truck attractive to consumers...making them want yours vs going to a dealership...couldn't really tell you how...but in theory it should help! :thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
um... what year is it? what size? 1500/2500? its only 2wd. i realize you live in south carolina. Gas prices. Economy. The fact that trucks just aren't selling even at dealerships... um just hard times for all involved. Not loaded.... and like said before its got a V8 in it. a lil on the light side if you lived in texas was gonna say its not jacked 8 foot off the ground and it doesn't have 4X4... lol

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't look at your price, but I've sold two vehicles on Craiglist:
* When I sold my wife's Jeep Wrangler, I got interest immediately and sold it at almost asking price. That was a vehicle that people are specifically searching for. Much easier to sell.
* I also sold a VW Jetta, which falls more into "just a car" category. My experience was that when I had what I considered a "fair price" based on what similar cars were selling for and close to the Kelly Bluebook value, that there was no interest. So I dropped the price by about $100/wk. Once it got to the "magic number," all of the sudden, I had all kinds of interest and sold it in a couple of days. I think with the Internet giving so much information about pricing on comparable vehicles, if you're not noticeably lower than the others, you won't get the calls.

Imperitas

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a v8 and it's a truck.
Dealers are having a hard time giving away trucks right now.
You are going to have to lower the price and likely take a decent loss in order to sell it imo. It may still be tough if you drop the price a few grand.
Trucks just aren't what they used to be and this may not ever change back.

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't sing the praises of Craigslist enough. I've bought and sold tons of junk on there. Unfortunately, though, all the previous posters are correct about V8 truck sales. My brother just bought a brand new V8 Titan for $15k off of sticker, and that was one state north of you.

Aside from putting it on Craigslist, try and advertise to where you think people would buy it. For instance, put flyers in local colleges and in business where you typically would see a lot of trucks- Home Depot, hardware stores, tack shops... Some businesses won't let you advertise there so ask first, but it never hurts to try.

Last, I would work up what the truck is worth using Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds and NADA and average the three together. That should give you a good reading on a fair asking price, then you can use that research in your sale. It sucks, but people just don't want a big truck right now. Good luck! -John

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why is it not selling?
No 4x4.
With out four wheel drive, the truck is highway only, not to mention sun belt only.
4.8 v8
If someone was looking for a work/tow vehicle, the 4.8 is pretty wimpy. The 5.3 has much more torque and may actually get better MPG while towing.
Price.
With dealers (here anyway) having 10-13k off sticker, a person could buy a new truck, and get low financing.

This is basically a bad time to be selling any type of truck. If gas keeps it's downward trend and stays below $3/gal, truck sales may start increasing again. It really has very little to do with your truck and/or pricing. You will find a buyer, it just may take lots of time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
um... what year is it? what size? 1500/2500? its only 2wd. i realize you live in south carolina. Gas prices. Economy. The fact that trucks just aren't selling even at dealerships... um just hard times for all involved. Not loaded.... and like said before its got a V8 in it. a lil on the light side if you lived in texas was gonna say its not jacked 8 foot off the ground and it doesn't have 4X4... lol

hey! i take offense to that! lol theres not THAT MANY trucks with huge ass lifts! lol alot of ppl just have normal trucks in texas...but about 90% have too loud of an exhaust haha

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well dude..its not particularly you...you also have to remember that its a v8...you don't have the price too high or anything...haha...its funny saying this lol

but on average for an extra 3-5k a person can buy from dealer...which is worth for most ppl bc they think they'll get better service even though u have a warranty...also alot of ppl in this day and age are financing...which also draws them into a dealership...

imo, you need to find a way to make your truck attractive to consumers...making them want yours vs going to a dealership...couldn't really tell you how...but in theory it should help! :thumbup:
Thanks I was consitering getting some rain guards and bug deflectors to put on. I didn't think it would be to expensive either to do and would add to the looks. Thanks for the thought. Take care.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:Im With Stupid:

Price you list is fair... But to make it sell ya gotta go lower. People are not buying right now. 19K for a used, two wheel drive, 4.8l V-8, two year old Chevy truck. They (people) can buy them new from the dealer for a few thousand more and have the dealer hook em' up with financing. Plus it's the older body style. Good luck with the sale.
Thanks I was thinking the old body style may hurt me also. I see your point about the financing also. Glad I learned to never ever finance a thing through the dealer though. The are a bunch of rip offs. Twice I bought a new truck and they both times told me they could only give me 9% financing. I just laughed in there faces and went and got 5% financing at my credit union.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't look at your price, but I've sold two vehicles on Craiglist:
* When I sold my wife's Jeep Wrangler, I got interest immediately and sold it at almost asking price. That was a vehicle that people are specifically searching for. Much easier to sell.
* I also sold a VW Jetta, which falls more into \"just a car\" category. My experience was that when I had what I considered a \"fair price\" based on what similar cars were selling for and close to the Kelly Bluebook value, that there was no interest. So I dropped the price by about $100/wk. Once it got to the \"magic number,\" all of the sudden, I had all kinds of interest and sold it in a couple of days. I think with the Internet giving so much information about pricing on comparable vehicles, if you're not noticeably lower than the others, you won't get the calls.
Thanks I hate cragelist though I have done had 2 scammers from that site try and get me to recieve a check for way more than my asking price of the truck. Then they want me to send the delivery crew there cut of the money and then send them the rest back. The problem is when you do that the bank will tell you in a few days the check didn't clear and now they have your truck and a couple thousand extra dollars. Wish I knew them I'd love to put a bullet in the back of there head.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't sing the praises of Craigslist enough. I've bought and sold tons of junk on there. Unfortunately, though, all the previous posters are correct about V8 truck sales. My brother just bought a brand new V8 Titan for $15k off of sticker, and that was one state north of you.

Aside from putting it on Craigslist, try and advertise to where you think people would buy it. For instance, put flyers in local colleges and in business where you typically would see a lot of trucks- Home Depot, hardware stores, tack shops... Some businesses won't let you advertise there so ask first, but it never hurts to try.

Last, I would work up what the truck is worth using Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds and NADA and average the three together. That should give you a good reading on a fair asking price, then you can use that research in your sale. It sucks, but people just don't want a big truck right now. Good luck! -John
Thanks for the advice I hadn't thought about the advertising idea by placing flyers at stores and buisnesses were trucks are commonly present. About the kelly blue book etc I have done that. My asking price of 19,000 dollars is 2000 dollars below private party value. But i do understand the strain and worries of the buyers. I know what you are saying also about ppl not into trucks at this day in time. Thanks again.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey! i take offense to that! lol theres not THAT MANY trucks with huge ass lifts! lol alot of ppl just have normal trucks in texas...but about 90% have too loud of an exhaust haha
I hate loud exhaust on anything. It sets the fuse on that last nerve everytime some one goes by my house or me with that crap. I don't care if its some one with one of those pocket cars, big truck, harley, etc not to mention bass rattling my house or car. When I encounter someone who believes they have the right to bust my ear drums with that crap or force me to hear what junk they like is when i believe I have the right to hold my horn down the whole time they are with in ear shot of me and force them to hear what crap I like. What is amazing about this is they sometimes get hostile and pissed off because I just served them the same **** they were serving me. I respect a person when they respect me. If it doesn't work that way you better go another direction.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

lol u need to get out of lubbock. lol they are all over the place mostly college campus's and they deff dont belong there....

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate loud exhaust on anything. It sets the fuse on that last nerve everytime some one goes by my house or me with that crap. I don't care if its some one with one of those pocket cars, big truck, harley, etc not to mention bass rattling my house or car. When I encounter someone who believes they have the right to bust my ear drums with that crap or force me to hear what junk they like is when i believe I have the right to hold my horn down the whole time they are with in ear shot of me and force them to hear what crap I like. What is amazing about this is they sometimes get hostile and pissed off because I just served them the same **** they were serving me. I respect a person when they respect me. If it doesn't work that way you better go another direction.

that could be why you cant sell your truck they remember you from laying on your horn... j/k... lol can you say anger management.... I guess we wouldn't get along... I love a good sounding exhaust and good sounding loud stereo not talking the bass only ones... im talking the ones that you can feel and hear perfectly! i am usually not a racist but it kills me when you go to myrtle beach people with stereo's may turn them up on the strip but then when they get to the hotel they turn them down. black people with their $500 caprice with a $3000 paint job, $2500 wheels and tires, and $1000 stereo leave it cranked sitting right outside their hotel or gas station etc. just out of curiosity what do you do when a dump truck down shifts? ok back on topic....

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that could be why you cant sell your truck they remember you from laying on your horn... j/k... lol can you say anger management.... I guess we wouldn't get along... I love a good sounding exhaust and good sounding loud stereo not talking the bass only ones... im talking the ones that you can feel and hear perfectly! i am usually not a racist but it kills me when you go to myrtle beach people with stereo's may turn them up on the strip but then when they get to the hotel they turn them down. black people with their $500 caprice with a $3000 paint job, $2500 wheels and tires, and $1000 stereo leave it cranked sitting right outside their hotel or gas station etc. just out of curiosity what do you do when a dump truck down shifts? ok back on topic....
The difference between a dump truck down shifting and someone with straight pipes or a loud sound system turned up is???????:don'tknow: :noworries:Here I will tell you the dump truck has to make that noise due to the size of the truck and weight not to mention speed in which it is traveling. It is going to make noise. It is not just the noise dude that drives me crazy it is the lack of respect for other ppl around you that pisses me off. O and your welcome for the answer in whats the difference in a dump truck and two disrespectful ppl. :):shakehead:

Last edited:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I found out why my trucks not selling. I have been talking to a friend about the truck and I decided to go to carfax the other night. I got there and she showed me by kelly blue book the truck is worth about $14600. The old body style is worth about 4 or so grand less. I thought all this time I was selecting the right package which I wasn't. They said the truck was in excellent condition and they could give me $14000.00 for it. I told them thanks but thats OK. I left there and started talking to the friend again. He found out the trucks loan value is worth just $15000.00 and would pay that for the truck or maybe $16000.00. He was going to check with his finances a little more detailed to make sure he could afford it. So I may have the truck sold soon and can continue on with my plan. Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys and ladies take care.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're asking $19k. KBB private party good condition (ballpark you can realistically expect to be the most you'll sell it for unless you have thousands and thousands in extras that the buyer wants) is right about $15k. That is not considering the economy/morale of buyers.

Brand new, 0 miles new trucks, financing offers, etc are going easily for $15k now. So you should either keep it, or expect to take a big hit on the value. It's sad, but I don't think you'll get more than $12-$13k from a very motivated buyer, probably less.

Also, not from my experience, but from advice given to me, don't ever buy a truck without 4 wheel drive. It is a little bit more up front, but you only need it once or twice for it to pay for itself, and you get all that money back when you sell it.