How I changed grips!

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody,

It is not a big deal but I got enough of stock skinny grips and decided to improve that situation. I kind of feel small vibration on right side and my fingers get numb after a while. That is a hand you can't rest by removing from the handle bar since it is a gas so bike slows down immediately.
I ordered Progrip 714B black 125mm dual sport gel grip. I got it from Amazon for less than 10 bucks sold by Powersport Superstore. I guess there are many on the market but appealed to me and I am not sorry for choice.

Tools needed is: Allen key, WD40, rubbing alcohol and long flat screwdriver.

First step is hardest one and that is removing old grips. I decided that under no circumstances I will simply cut existing grips. Maybe one day next owner of my bike will want originals so they are preserved safely in parts box.

First remove grip ends by using Allen key. It is metric size and should be present in tool box.

I used long thin screwdriver with flat tip, pushed it all the way and slowly moved it in circular motion around. That released a grip and removed small (if any) patches of glue. To help it I pushed in WD40 thin dispensing tube and greased a thing that way. See picture:
Grease-grip.JPG

After that removing of grip was piece of cake. You can see remainders of some kind of glue on the bar.

Remove-grip.JPG

Important: one grip is bigger and other one smaller! They were marked as 24 and 26 for me. So don't be dummy like me and install smaller one on right side. It is vice versa. Smaller diameter goes on left side and bigger one on gas handle.

Then I cleaned a handle bars to get rid of WD40. I also had to cut off ends of new grips since they have to be hollow to fit properly. I poured generous amount of rubbing alcohol on the grips inside and handle bar. Alcohol "greases" bar and grip only temporarily, for just long enough for new grip to slide on. Pushed grip in and that was it! Alcohol dries out with no trace shortly.

New-grip.JPG

It is very small and inexpensive mod but makes a difference in comfort. My next mod will be to improve seat cushion with gel as well to provide for better seating on longer rides.

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have those grips on my 350. Another mod I did to reduce handlebar vibration was filling the bars with silicone. I used a 2-part RTV I had from work, just put one bar end on, hold the bar vertical, then pour it in through the other end, then put the other bar end on and let it cure.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job. This may seem off topic but I have a different spin on this...

Fix the source of the vibrations! Mine once had vibes so bad I thought I'd need surgery to repair my @ss. A 400 mile ride and I was sore when I got home.

I set out to Fix it making ONE change at a time to isolate the cause, as those vibes were NOT present when I bought the bike. Its easy and I suspect several of these bikes have this issue.
- At least 25 have been confirmed as "CURED".

Follow the directions here. Figure a couple hours time if you putt along.....
Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!

Things that FIX engine vibrations:
- Loose spark plug Caps
- Excessive spark plug gap (stay in spec)
- Sub par fuel >> try different brands
- Oil! Some give up sooner than others.

You ask, do any of these make the bike NOT RUN or RUN BAD? NO. But they all add up creating harmonic vibrations which make us humans very uncomfortable!

TB sync ONLY plays a role upto 3000 RPM or so. If your vibes are from idle to 10,000 - its not the TB sync.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In short; if some part of your bike is buzzing and rattling up and down like the mirrors, levers, bars, pegs, something inside the fairing - take a look at the ignition system. It really can help fix the source of the vibration!