How to check\align your fork

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Found a neat fork alignment page on the Yamaha Fz1 Owners site.
Looks like we can use this method.
Even I can afford this tool.
Actually I have some old tent poles out in the barn.
Won't cost anything going that route!
Here is the link:quadrunner500's Fork Alignment Procedure
Very :cool:
I love cheap ways,
Or women.:rolleyes:
Rich
Very clever Wildcat. The further apart the two 'gauges' are it seems the results would be more accurate. So why not use the sliders at the bottom? Just asking. Of course if the lower pipe was the right diameter it would lodge behind the fork seal guards, which would make it a one person job.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting! At glance careful clamping the pinch bolts and then seating the stem nut as the clamp is being pulled down. So if you pinch the stanchion tubes too soon you bind the triple pulling it down with the stem and risk damage to all three components.

IMO - having the stanchion tubes clamped in the lower triple should be adequate to align the top triple. However, if the purpose is to align the top triple (like after doing head bearings), I'd suggest not throwing the wheel and axle in place as they could hinder this process.

JM2C

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
So what you're saying Final is don't tighten the upper pinch bolts before torquing the stem nut. Correct? Makes sense to me.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what you're saying Final is don't tighten the upper pinch bolts before torquing the stem nut. Correct? Makes sense to me.

Ya, basically get the stem snug so its not really moving per say (it makes contact w/the adjuster nuts). Someone new to the scene could get the triple started - and cinch the pinch bolts too early like if the triple didn't drop all the way down for some reason.

I looked at bike one time that had dimpled the upper stanchion tubes. Ask the guy how bad the wreck was to kink the tubes. It wasn't a wreck, it was repair gone wrong just as we talk about here - tightened them too early and then drew the stem down several turns and kinks the tubes.

Hopefully just a little insight. :thumbup: