I Suck at riding....

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
So i left work the tuesday night, at about 7:30pm
At the light i waited a good 1.5-2 minutes at a red to get on to the high way on ramp (left turn)
When the light went green, i proceeded to get into 1st gear, didn't give it alot of gas, in the middle of the turn (not even into 2nd, not goosing it) i noticed the front wheel got a little squirmy, and then all of the sudden the back end went out. I was doing ~ 5-10mph, and the bike just slipped out from underneath me. It turns out there was a large patch of dirt in the middle of the intersection... :banghead:
So, as it came down, i stood up, the bike tripped me on the way down, i came down on my left knee and ankle, not hard at all. Small road rash through the gloves and pants, wrist the size of a button, knee smaller than a quarter.
As for the bike... well of course i got picks..... :(
DSC06293.jpg

broke that part....
DSC06288.jpg

cracked and scuffed up
DSC06289.jpg

guess where it landed & rotated around....
DSC06287.jpg

where my foot hit when the bike tripped me....

that's about it... so about 400 bucks in parts.... uhg :(
i suppose i could invest in some frame sliders.... now that would be smart...

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to read about your fall - I hope you are OK. These types of things happen so fast and at the most unsupecting times.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be too hard on yourself, Andyjo. All it takes is a tiny patch of gravel, grease, ice or even one small perfectly round stone to send you down. I'm still waiting for my first one :(.

When I first saw the top photo I thought your seat had torn, and the rear side panel had pushed way inside, took me a minute to see you'd just laid a piece on top of your seat. d'Oh! :eek:

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah... i'm perfectly fine besides a few scratches. I was going so slow that i just stood up... and then got tripped. One of my coworkers was behind me, and said it just slipped out from under me. Look at the parts site.. the front cowling is like 265, the crank cover is 50, and i think the read fuse cover is like 50.... still.. just a pain in the ass more than anything else. it was more like one of those 'woops' moments than anything else....
It is my first time dropping a bike, i've had a few, i guess it just wasn't my time.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear the accident,,unfortunately it happens,,,thank god nothing happened to you,,,,,

i wonder what would have happened if you had frame sliders,,,any damage on the clutch lever and bar end? i think if you had frame sliders only the slider and lever-bar end wouldve scratched a little bit...

definitely add the cost of a nice frame slider on top of that $400...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to see this and glad you're OK!

It's too bad you didn't put sliders on the bike because it looks like nearly all of the damage might have been avoided with a $75 purchase. Looks like a job for Ron Ayers!!!

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch, I feel for you Andyjo. Pretty much the same thing happened to me on the day I brought home my bike from the stealership. I replaced the right hand mirror (stalk and all), the left side headlight piece cover, the bar ends (comes in pair), the leftside panel by the seat was deeply gouged but it did not break in pieces like yours. The crank case I just sanded down and repainted with the closest matte black paint I found at Pepboys. However I did order that piece before hand. If you want I could sell it to you for..... $25 + S&H. I originally purchased it for under $50, here is the link: Westfield Yamaha Suzuki | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts, let me know if you're interested. Another good place to buy replacement parts is at Yamaha Parts and Accessories - 20% Discount on Yamaha OEM Parts, 10% Discount on Aftermarket Parts. Just PM me if you want it. I do need to look for it first, I'm sure I have it somewhere in my garage. Maybe over the weekend I'll find it.
:Sport:

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Happy to hear you're OK. Bikes can be fixed a lot easier than humans and it is not likely this will be the last time. Learn from this and move on because there is so much more ahead for you....

Charlie

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Andyjo,

You like Star Wars?
xwing2.jpg

You like MaD Max?
maxv8.jpg

You like The Terminator?
terminator.jpg

I SURE DO! You know what else? ALL THIS STUFF IS SMASHED!!!

Mate, SCARS ARE COOL! The reason people liked this stuff is because it's all SMASHED! Some people believe that scars earn them ritual rights!

If your bike works fine and you have no safety issues, THEN I'D LEAVE IT! You actually crashed your bike and lived to tell about it. COOL!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It happens to the best of us...
:Sport: While scars may give you character, I am glad you are O.K. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We can't take back time, but if you had a second chance on going through the same intersection what would you have done differently?

W

wrightme43

The difference between bikes and cars is bikes fall down. Your ok. Your bike is fixable. Your ego is bruised, but you will probley never miss another patch of dirt or debri in the road again.

(I droped mine, maybe 3-4 weeks old, at deals gap, in front of a bunch of my friends looking out the window at me. It was a nice ego buster. LOL It fixed. Hook up on frame sliders though, they saved my cases.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
just happy to hear you are healthy and able to write about it. im sure it plays over in your head like a movie loop...it helps us all to read about what happened to you, so in some twisted way, thanks.

get better,

paul

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that sucks dude, i am glad that the damage is minimal to you and the bike, the same lesson could have cost a LOT more.

Glad your ok and able to get back up and ride.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You DO suck!!! Just kidding...there's a lot of crap on the roads this time of year...especailly a lot of sand on the roads in Mass. Glad you didn't get too hurt.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the accident. My last fz got totaled when a guy did a wheelie that landed on my back seat. It threw me under a truck and the bike flipped end over end a few times. I was wearing full gear, Like i always do, and i walked a way fine. Glad to hear you are ok, you will be out on the town in no time.:thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I broke my patella at about 3mph doing almost the same thing.
You need to look for that loose gravel because it will always get you.

I even look for it when Im in the car just in case I will be riding that stratch on my bike sometimes. It is suprising where you find some junctions where it always seems to be there.

Hope you get the bike fixed soon.

Get some engine bungs, they may have helped.

Steve

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the accident. My last fz got totaled when a guy did a wheelie that landed on my back seat. It threw me under a truck and the bike flipped end over end a few times. I was wearing full gear, Like i always do, and i walked a way fine. Glad to hear you are ok, you will be out on the town in no time.:thumbup:

That sounds like a rough accident!!!