Ignition Key hard to turn/Insert

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the best lubricant to use to lube the ignition key cylinder? it's hard to insert, turn and remove key. Key isn't bent

I used the liquid graphite one time and it ran every where. If you don't want that you can try the powder kind I have used it also before and it works just as well.

I have used graphite. A lock smith on one of the boards said it is bad and gums up the works.

If I rember right it was brake clean and light gun oil that he reccomended.

then I read others that say only graphite it will not damage locks.

Basicly the main thing is not to use graphite and a oil based lubricant. That will gum up the lock.

I have used graphite and still have it in there. No problems as of yet.

If you're driving an '07, I'm a bit surprised that the lock needs lubing already. :confused:

Mine did the same thing - the dealer lost the original keys and had a set made from the key ID number.

I bought a replacement set on ebay and had a local locksmith cut them. It is very important to "polish" the edges of the cut (almost like beveling the edge) with a light wire wheel (the locksmith should do this). The cut edge should not feel sharp.

They work very well now...

thanks for the help on this thread... i have a 07 and im having the same issues... hard to insert turn and remove... goign to go pick up graphite tomorrow.... is this a problem with all 07's and possibly 08's?

My lock has been sticking also the last couple of times .
I don't know what kind of chain lube you use but if it is the DuPont Teflon spray "Like I use" try giving your lock a squirt of that, It made my lock smooth as silk with no residue to later jam up the lock cylinder ..

I am a tech with ford and the focus lock cylinder is crap it gets jammed with smallest amount of debris and have seen many customers using graphite to try to loosen the cylinder . When I disassemble the cylinders to get the pin #`s off the pins, the pins barely move . After spraying down the lock cylinder with brake clean the pins come right out ..

My suggestion is don't use graphite !!!

Greg A.

I've already BENT one key..... not on the ignition (although it looks dented too). I don't even know how it happened, but I think I might have unlocked the helmet lock by accident and wondered why I couldn't lift off the seat. I likely forced it too much and bent the key. Later I noticed it when it wouldn't fit into the ignition.

Another Winter project - get new key made.

My 07 is exactly the same way. I actually couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition at one point. I retreived the spare key at it turned fine, but the original key still has a very hard time finding the right tumblers. They key goes about half way in then meets some resistance and need a jiggle to get it all the way in. It's quite annoying to say the least.

My 07 is exactly the same way. I actually couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition at one point. I retreived the spare key at it turned fine, but the original key still has a very hard time finding the right tumblers. They key goes about half way in then meets some resistance and need a jiggle to get it all the way in. It's quite annoying to say the least.

I've been having similar issues with my 07 recently , I'll have to see if Graphite helps out.

Yea man, I've been having problems for abbout 6 monts now. I took it as the wows of storing the FZ outdoors.

I have a 2005 FZ6 naked and have the same lock problem. I'll try with the Teflon chain lube to see what happens. I've tried spraying WD-40 and it helped for a while but made me clean my key every time i take it out of the lock.
It stinks having to clean your key after every use.
I'll keep you posted after I try the chain lube.

I've had my 08 since Jun and I'm already having this problem. I have to shove the key all the way in and then shove it some more just to get it to turn.
Yamaha needs a :spank: lol

Back