Kit?

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...and that's why I went my own way.

I should have as well. After I get this stuff working I will begin sourcing better parts.

The tail light fuse was blown, which according to what I have read in another post may have caused my blinker problem. I was reading 2 volts on both the running light and and turn signal circuits which I thought odd. I checked the battery and it was a solid 12V with the bike running. Then I noticed the tail light did not in fact work as I thought it did but the brake light does, so I checked that fuse and it is blown.

Did I blow it while mucking around testing the running light/turn signal wires? I only have one spare, so whatever I did I don't want to do it again.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was cheering for you... It was a total pain in butt so I got an imitation daymaker headlight and it's working well enough. Then I cannibalized the turn signal mounts and bolted the remnants to the frame mounting the headlight housing. Looks a little ghetto, but it was free. If I give a rip later, I'll make something more pretty.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually got it all together and working. I could only get 1 bolt in each side of the headlight though. It's just too tight to get the bottom one in, and the holes are off. I can probably do a little more work on the wires to create some more space, and drill the plastic in the headlight shroud a little bigger to compensate for the tapped hole in the stay being off by a few millimeters. It works as is though. The headlight is going to aim a little high. I don't ride at night so I am not too concerned. I got it pointing straight at least.

The Enduro in the back of this photo has a 7" headlight bucket with an LED in it. I think I will order some 43mm headlight brackets and put that on the Fazer instead. I have some LED turn signals that match the ones I just put on the rear when I did the fender eliminator.

smallest.jpg

The bolts for the rear views were too long, so I had to stack several washers under the mirror stalks. I'll replace those next time I'm at the hardware store. There isn't enough real estate on the right side of the bar with the mirror clamps added to the mix. The front brake clamp is encroaching on the bend by a millimeter or two.

smaeer2.jpg

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve used the brackets From SpeedMotoCo that I’ve linked below on the 3 bikes I’ve converted to round headlight buckets. They are a little pricey but the quality is outstanding. They are CNC machined from aluminum, look OEM, and have several possibilities to hold the turn signal indicators. I’ll post a photo later of them in use on my bike.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a topic for a different thread, but as far as bars go any 7/8" bar will do, correct? I see FZ1 bars for sale at considerably higher prices than generic 7/8" bars and I'm not aware of any differences. I'd also like to replace the single-piece top clamp on the bar with individual clamps, and it stands to reason that any clamps for 7/8" bars will work, but I am not absolutely certain the large single-piece top clamp isn't serving some purpose.

Thanks for the cheerleading on this little project. I'm not terribly disappointed in the result, but in hindsight I would probably assemble my own kit. I wanted an OEM look, and this basically achieves that, but the quality isn't quite there.

I am curious how the FZ6N managed the mayhem behind the headlight. I'm guessing the wiring loom connectors and flasher relay are under the tank or somewhere else inside the frame rather than out front. If I was super ambitious I would relocate them myself.

Japarley

Reaction score
Visit site
Well that's a tidy job you have done there ...!
iv still got the fairing on mine but much prefer that look,
but as you say that round headlights better looking
more like the Honda Hornet ?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some photos of the SpeedMotoCo brackets on my TS-Z400. I think they look OEM quality. Currently my FZ6 has twin round 4" headlights, but I think it might be on the ugly side. I'm probably going to go to a single 7".

Regarding the look of a round headlight on an FZ6, just take a look at the 2020 XRS900. My goodness this bike looks like an FZ6 with a round headlight.

Yes, any 7/8" bar will work. Just be aware of the rise and pull back to make sure you don't have tank clearance issues. I don't mind the OEM bars...but ine could use some fresh powder coat.Bracket1.JPGBracket3.JPGBrcket2.JPGXSR900.jpeg

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the round headlight installed this weekend. I cut off half of the gauge cluster bracket, and I had to modify the gauge cluster fairing in order to fit the headlight. I transferred the angle for the back of the headlight bucket to the fairing, and cut it with a dremel. The bracket the mounts the gauge cluster is not straight, and I didn't want to bend it because it is so poorly made I would probably break it, so I just went with. I sanded the plastic after cutting, and used some black weather stripping to tidy it up. It looks pretty decent, time and miles will tell if I need to make any adjustments. The headlight is super bright and a massive improvement.

This set allows much more room for cables and wires without having to cram everything in. I would still like to shorten the harness, but that is a different job entirely.

roundlight1.jpgroundlight2.jpgroundlight3.jpg

The mirrors and mounting hardware that came with the conversion kit are utter garbage as well, so I have ordered a set of bar ends and bar end mounted mirrrors. In the end the only part of the kit I am using is the gauge cluster fairing and mounting bracket, both modified.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
F/S: Hi folks, been a while since I've been here. I sold my S2 a year and a half ago but still have the naked kit if anyone interested, used only one season. Mine differs in that I didn't like the speedo mount provided that allowed all its guts to be visible from the side, so I bought a custom bracket from a member here which was very professionally done. I removed the provided section of the headlight bracket for the mini screen and purchased the OEM S2 speedo back cover. I also purchased bar end mirrors which were nicer than the handle bar ones provided (dollar store quality imho). I never used the provided blinkers either as they were 2-wire and did not provide the running light option i had with OEM. I'm not into cutting OEM wiring, so I bought two front blinker harnesses to connect them, but never did. The mirrors WERE black, but sun bleached to the color you see in the image. The glass has a slight blue tint. I live in the Montreal area.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 13

Maketzu

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the round headlight installed this weekend. I cut off half of the gauge cluster bracket, and I had to modify the gauge cluster fairing in order to fit the headlight. I transferred the angle for the back of the headlight bucket to the fairing, and cut it with a dremel. The bracket the mounts the gauge cluster is not straight, and I didn't want to bend it because it is so poorly made I would probably break it, so I just went with. I sanded the plastic after cutting, and used some black weather stripping to tidy it up. It looks pretty decent, time and miles will tell if I need to make any adjustments. The headlight is super bright and a massive improvement.

This set allows much more room for cables and wires without having to cram everything in. I would still like to shorten the harness, but that is a different job entirely.

View attachment 73526View attachment 73527View attachment 73528

The mirrors and mounting hardware that came with the conversion kit are utter garbage as well, so I have ordered a set of bar ends and bar end mounted mirrrors. In the end the only part of the kit I am using is the gauge cluster fairing and mounting bracket, both modified.

This round headlight is pretty nice! Do you have a link for it? I have the older version of the bike but maybe I can make it work..

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This round headlight is pretty nice! Do you have a link for it? I have the older version of the bike but maybe I can make it work..
It required 3 separate purchases. The led itself, the bucket, and the brackets. Search your favorite online retailer for the light and bucket. Just make sure you buy them in the same diameter. 8” fits pretty well on the FZ6 I think. For the brackets I bought a very nice set recommended by a member here. I think they’re linked in this thread.

BustedS1

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't believe I'm just now finding this thread - I too bought this kit and installed it.

As mentioned, absolute trash; chinesium bolts in particular were super useful :rolleyes:

I may just rip it all out at this point - unfortunately I went with slim-line aftermarket handlebar controls so I have to either rewire everything, or buy used switches and reinstall the stockers.

It's a good idea, the kit, but extremely poor execution.

Sorry for your troubles OP!