Las Vegas Police Rear Ends Motorcyclist

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct in that manner but most of us ride in the tire tracks for several other reasons besides traction.

Traction is very important, especially approaching intersections. Very good possibility that you may have to use emergency braking or swerving and the best traction is not found in the center part of the lane near intersections.

Visibility factor plays an important part not just for you but for the other drivers. riding in the center will put you at a disadvantage, it will be more difficult to look farther down the road preventing you from anticipating what kind of hazards may be developing. By offsetting yourself to the left or right of the vehicle, the vehicle in front of you will not obstruct your vision down the roadway versus the center. Also the driver ahead of you, will see you not just in one mirror,but two.

In the event you are following too closely, it's easier to swerve and split the lanes from being on one side rather than the very center, where the tendency for most riders is to brake. And since most riders fail to apply the brakes properly, most will end up low siding before they even reach the vehicle in front of them.

Lane position is one of the most important decisions when it comes to street riding strategies for riding in traffic.

Can't disagree with any of it. I'll just add what's worked for me.

It all depends on where I'm riding. On Lawrence Expressway for example, nobody pays attention. Riding on the left side of any lane will guarantee some one will just shoot on over from the left into my lane. Heck, anywhere I ride that happens, except for the freeways, oddly. I've almost been clobbered quite a few times in that manner. Heck, it's even happened when I've been almost completely ahead of the car that's moving over! Riding on the right side of the lane nets me the same result, just from the other side, and less time to react from attacks coming from the right. Riding in the center(most of the time) has served me well. Oh, let's not forget the blind drivers that have almost rear-ended me when I've come to a stop anywhere but in the center of the lane. And lane splitting while in heavy traffic that's moving, while everybody wants to be in any lane other than the one they're in? Forget it. I know my luck, and I ain't going to push it. lol Only as a last resort. The worst part is, when these geniuses change lanes, they do it as fast as possible, and their reactions times are slow at best. One they start moving over, no amount of honking or anything else will halt their maneuvering in time, if at all. I've seen a few accidents happen in that manner, car on car. The blind lane changer only hit the brakes as they were smashing into the victim car. Nice, eh?

As for seeing farther ahead, well, I've never had a problem with that, even when in the center of the lane. Then again, level roads are few and far between here. Plus, I keep my distance. Enough distance, that if someone shoots over in front of me, it's a non-issue. Also leaves a nice accelerate-away-from-danger buffer.

Anticipating other drivers moves is something I've always been great at, even before I started riding. It's saved me in the car and on the moto's. Between that, good foresight, and good reaction times as well as reacting calmly, is all why I've never been in so much as a fender bender. I'd say those tools, plus the proper riding skills(lane positioning debates aside), are the most critical to staying upright.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll adjust my riding style once I get out of CA, where people drive differently as well. I also don't stay in the center all the time, it all depends on the area, and wether or not there's a lane to my right. Ride in whatever manner keeps you safest, is all I'm getting at. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
~UPDATE~ Thursday, April 4, 2013
Officer Eugen Holm retired yesterday in lieu of being fired. This was confirmed by an internal affairs investigator this morning.
Officer Holm was facing Internal Affairs charges for: (1) Not reporting an accident (Metro Policy Manual 5/103.29), (2) Wrongful interaction with the public (for being discourteous and rude, Metro Policy Manual 4/102.12), and (3) Conduct Unbecoming an Officer (intimidation, Civil Service Rule 510-2). All charges were "SUSTAINED"

This is copied from the original Youtube account

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Officer Eugen Holm retired yesterday in lieu of being fired. This was confirmed by an internal affairs investigator this morning.
Officer Holm was facing Internal Affairs charges for: (1) Not reporting an accident (Metro Policy Manual 5/103.29), (2) Wrongful interaction with the public (for being discourteous and rude, Metro Policy Manual 4/102.12), and (3) Conduct Unbecoming an Officer (intimidation, Civil Service Rule 510-2). All charges were "SUSTAINED"

And all could have been prevented by being less of a d-bag.

ohh well....

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Not bashing LEO here - but yeah, this guy was a dick and I'm glad that he got his in the end. He's an edge case, and almost all of my interactions with LEO have been great, but hopefully it will make officers like him think twice about how they treat people.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site

There we go, good things do happen! :thumbup:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Not bashing LEO here - but yeah, this guy was a dick and I'm glad that he got his in the end. He's an edge case, and almost all of my interactions with LEO have been great, but hopefully it will make officers like him think twice about how they treat people.

I don't think it's bashing LEO. I think in fact more than once on this thread people have pointed out that most cops are professionals which is a positive thing. But this guy was not a professional because he got "conduct unbecoming an officer" as his final remark.

I love Drama. He's a bro's bro