late 2003(04 model) power query?

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks

I have just bought an fz6 following all the rave reviews.
I got a very cheap late 2003 model (silver coloured engine). It is the newer shaped/chassis/fairing FZ6 even though it has a 53 reg, (it's not an fzs600) but I have been told that it is apparently 78ps because it's engine is silver rather than black and that in 04 yamaha made a detuned 78ps basic fz6 aswell as the 'proper' 98ps s2......

Is this correct? Or am I being told porkies?

Please help!!:eek:

mustnt grumble

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks

I have just bought an fz6 following all the rave reviews.
I got a very cheap late 2003 model (silver coloured engine). It is the newer shaped/chassis/fairing FZ6 even though it has a 53 reg, (it's not an fzs600) but I have been told that it is apparently 78ps because it's engine is silver rather than black and that in 04 yamaha made a detuned 78ps basic fz6 aswell as the 'proper' 98ps s2......

Is this correct? Or am I being told porkies?

Please help!!:eek:

Someone's winding you up I think. I have a '53 (Reg Jan 2004) plate as well. I've certainly never heard of the original FZ6 being resticted.

Here's a review from 2004 in which the HP is given as 98. BTW are you North or South of the border? How did you end up with a mainland UK registered bike?

2004 Yamaha FZ6 - First Ride & Review - Motorcyclist Online

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I am north of the border - no excise duty/plate implications.
When you are sourcing aftermarket parts do you quote an 04 fazer rather than 03 then?
I haven't got tax book back yet so don't know manufacturer date but it is a 53plated fz6

mustnt grumble

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I am north of the border - no excise duty/plate implications.
When you are sourcing aftermarket parts do you quote an 04 fazer rather than 03 then?
I haven't got tax book back yet so don't know manufacturer date but it is a 53plated fz6

Hmm, I lived in NI for a few years and had a mainland registered car. I had to get my tax when I came home to England as I couldn't do it over there without re-registering.

I always quote it as a 2004 bike as it was actually registered in January 2004. I think the January registration numbers (as in '04 instead of '53) don't start until towards the end of the month. Actually I'm not sure that 'officially' there is such a thing as a 2003 FZ6 as whenever production runs are quoted,the earliest year is always given as 2004. I would suggest using 2004 when ordering stuff to make sure people don't get confused with the 'old' Fazer.

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
In N.I. now you can tax a mainland car or bike just the same as an N.I. car or bike.
How long ago was it you lived in N.I?
re: FZ6 you have shed a bit of light, I reckon it is similar to yours and prob manufactured early jan 04 but got a 53 plate due to plate timing.

Can you confirm if the silver engine makes any difference to model power?
I noticed some s2 fz's have a black engine.

Thanks for your help btw:thumbup:

mustnt grumble

Reaction score
Visit site
In N.I. now you can tax a mainland car or bike just the same as an N.I. car or bike.
How long ago was it you lived in N.I?
re: FZ6 you have shed a bit of light, I reckon it is similar to yours and prob manufactured early jan 04 but got a 53 plate due to plate timing.

Can you confirm if the silver engine makes any difference to model power?
I noticed some s2 fz's have a black engine.

Thanks for your help btw:thumbup:

Think the black engine came along in about 2005/2006. Others will confirm that I'm sure. I'm sure the differences between Series 1 and 2 FZ6's are cosmetic mainly. (The silver engines and wheel rims look better IMO but I am biased.)

I lived in Norn Iron between 1997 and 2002. Was over there a couple of weeks ago to see the other half's family.

It was like Winter!

rusty1

Reaction score
Visit site
Think the black engine came along in about 2005/2006. Others will confirm that I'm sure. I'm sure the differences between Series 1 and 2 FZ6's are cosmetic mainly. (The silver engines and wheel rims look better IMO but I am biased.)

I lived in Norn Iron between 1997 and 2002. Was over there a couple of weeks ago to see the other half's family.

It was like Winter!

just discovered bike was registered 12/03 by phoning previous owner so it must be one of the very first s1 fz6's. He confirmed it is 98ps.
I agree about the silver....
It's still like winter over here - when will we get a summer....lol
Thanks for the info!!
Feel better now haha

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Theres no power diff with the different colored engines, just the black looks better :Flip:...:justkidding: Only thing i know of is that in europe there are 2 diff types of FZ6's one is restricted on hp, while the other has the full 98hp, i believe the S2 has the full hp...once again someone will need to confirm...