Loose Wire and Misfiring Turn Indicators

nicord

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2009 FZ-6 with 600 miles on it and I couldn't be happier. Already put over 200 miles on her in less than a week.

There have been some electrical issues though. First the battery went dead. It's since been replaced and is back to running just fine.

I located a loose wire under the tank when I put a new battery in the motorcycle. I'm not sure where it goes. I've attached a picture for reference. She currently starts and runs just fine.

The wire does not easily reach either of the battery terminals but if it had to it could reach the positive terminal. There is not a similar wire connected to the negative like some pictures I've seen.

Also I noticed there is an old Scorpio alarm in there under the seat. I do not have the remote.

This leads to the second problem. When I try to use the turn signals and no matter the direction the hazards come beeping on. The hazard button works just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
That cable in the picture isn't factory.

Im going to guess that your trouble comes from the scorpio's wiring since installing the scorpio usually involves connecting the alarm unit to the factory flasher circuit.

If i was you, i had start with the alarm unit and disconnect its connections one by one. Just make sure u leave the factory circuit intact.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!
I just bought a 2009 FZ-6 with 600 miles on it and I couldn't be happier. Already put over 200 miles on her in less than a week.

There have been some electrical issues though. First the battery went dead. It's since been replaced and is back to running just fine.

I located a loose wire under the tank when I put a new battery in the motorcycle. I'm not sure where it goes. I've attached a picture for reference. She currently starts and runs just fine.

The wire does not easily reach either of the battery terminals but if it had to it could reach the positive terminal. There is not a similar wire connected to the negative like some pictures I've seen.

Also I noticed there is an old Scorpio alarm in there under the seat. I do not have the remote.

This leads to the second problem. When I try to use the turn signals and no matter the direction the hazards come beeping on. The hazard button works just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When you say the hazards beep do you mean they make a sound? If a left and right directional wire is touching each other it will light all of the lights as if the 4 way flasher is activated. The same flasher is used for the 4 ways and left/right directional lights. What ever that wire is, tape up the connecter so that it's insulated from touching anything. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That Scorpion alarm CAN be ordered with a plug and play connector for plugging into the lights and may be tied into the ignition as well (its optional).

As noted above, find the unit and follow the wires. IF they used a plug and play kit, it'll look pretty stock. But you'll see once unplugged, you can re-plug W/O the alarm. About 2/3 the way down; Scorpio Secure | Scorpio

For the ignition cut off (if hooked up) again, disconnect that.

That wire you have is likely a ground wire to the frame for the alarm. Again, its not stock. A test light to it and ground with and without ignition on will let you know..

I had a Scorpion alarm years ago with a plug and play kit for my Goldwing, and later transferred to my FJR (again, a Yamaha plug and play kit) however I didn't wire in the ignition kill wire..

Last edited:

nicord

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your help. I'm going to go at it tomorrow and uninstall the alarm system.

I'm going to replace the antifreeze and oil also. It seems that they are the original fluids and have never been replaced.

If this humidity/drizzle lifts I may have a go at the brake fluid as it has turned dark.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have actually had a similar problem, the most insanely implausible and stupidest thing ever. my parking lights, in each corner above the headlights both had a filament blow, (duel filament bulbs) the Left (drivers side in the US) bulb had the turn signal filament blow and flop DOWN and make contact with the still good parking light filament AND the Right bulb had the PARKING light filament blow (within a few days of each other) and somehow flung UP and made contact with the still good turn signal filament!!! impossibly stupid, i know.

ANYWAYS the bike would light up both turn signal indicators solid no matter what but when I indicated left, everything flashed. I went through the switch, the wiring diagrams and one of my coworkers joked and said, did you check the bulbs, naturally I said of course I did!!! then i looked at them and was quite mad....moral of the story, dont rull out the stupid simple stuff!!! K.I.S.S.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
'If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth' - Spock

I have actually had a similar problem, the most insanely implausible and stupidest thing ever. my parking lights, in each corner above the headlights both had a filament blow, (duel filament bulbs) the Left (drivers side in the US) bulb had the turn signal filament blow and flop DOWN and make contact with the still good parking light filament AND the Right bulb had the PARKING light filament blow (within a few days of each other) and somehow flung UP and made contact with the still good turn signal filament!!! impossibly stupid, i know.

ANYWAYS the bike would light up both turn signal indicators solid no matter what but when I indicated left, everything flashed. I went through the switch, the wiring diagrams and one of my coworkers joked and said, did you check the bulbs, naturally I said of course I did!!! then i looked at them and was quite mad....moral of the story, dont rull out the stupid simple stuff!!! K.I.S.S.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
'If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth' - Spock

Okay...but remember...you started this! Lol!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zwbSDpROm8"]YouTube[/ame]

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
ok you guys have surpassed my nerd..... keep in mind im just a simple wrench monkey with a Bachelors Degree. Blah