Lowered the handlebars...what a difference!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Hey guys, So I was playing with my handlebars this weekend and thought, 'they're already loosened, so why not rotate them to be lower?' I performed this feat (4 screws...couldn't be easier...don't forget to rotate the levers though LOL) and the difference is amazing!

I feel I have more control, and that I'm leaned over more. I did a quick jaunt with a passenger up the coast and it proved great! Although the only negative was that my wrists starting hurting when splitting lanes slowly in dead traffic...can't wait to try it in the canyons because turning just feels so controlled and easy!

just passing on the info to 'try'!:thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I can take a pic when I get home tonight, but I simply turned the steering completely to one side and then rotated backwards until my fingers touched the tank (not that I ever turn that far, but just in case). I still have full lock both ways. It made about an inch difference.

My upper body positioning feels more like sitting on a R6 with clip-ons. I'll give more of a detailed report after a canyon.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey MarinaFazer,

Now that you have had your bars like this for a week wondering if you are still happy with them that way? I am thinking about trying it myself.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
as sfcali says: it took a bit to get used to not putting all my weight on my wrists, but so far I love it. I feel I have more control in turn and that my body positioning is more forward over the front wheel (supersport style).

I will; however, be using the tool kit's allen wrenches to readjust the bars for long highway trips (over 100 miles) to the stock configuration.

Overall: I like the outcome. Easily reversable :thumbup:, $0, better control, more aggressive position.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently discovered the same trick. In my case, I also removed the risers I thought I needed (I put them on when I bought the bike and was used to a cruiser riding position at the time). I found that the improved sense of control was amazing. Being in a lower riding position also removed most of the buffetting I got from my windshield.

My wrists hurt a bit more too, but I'm not switching back. Great tip!

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently discovered the same trick. In my case, I also removed the risers I thought I needed (I put them on when I bought the bike and was used to a cruiser riding position at the time). I found that the improved sense of control was amazing. Being in a lower riding position also removed most of the buffetting I got from my windshield.

Same here... ditched my risers to get lower then turned down the bar.
Just have to be careful not to lower them too far or you will mash your fingers!! Overall quick & easy fix. Being lower to you can take advantage of the windscreed. I do have to come up for air every now & then!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Question .. .

After moving the bars back is there any necessary way the levers need to be positioned or can they just be placed in a comfortable position? Also does the brake fluid reservoir need to be repositioned level or is it really that important? Thanks

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I rotated both of the levers forward after rotating the bars.

The clutch lever is to your custom liking, and so is the front brake/reservoir...it just so happened that my comfy position has it nicely upright.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this soon after getting the bike and it helped a lot. The next step was to replace with an FZ1 bar. $35 right at the dealer, easy install (even for as mechanical klutz like me), looks cool and handles even better.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I did it yeterday and got to ride it today. I am very surprised at how the feel of the bike changed from such a small adjustment. It really feels better in the twisties, feels like I have more control over the bike. You were right about wrist fatigue, my clutch hand was fine but the throttle hand was complianing. I think I will leave it because overall it is a nice change, maybe try out a crampbuster on the thottle for the longer rides.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

:needpics::needpics::needpics:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

If you go to page 1 you will see MarinaFazers pics, really there isn't much to see. Just turn wheel all the way to one direction, loosen the 4 screws and pull bars back until you like it (just don't go to where it is touching the tank or smashing your hand between). Then reposition levers to your liking.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i saw the picture's but the problem (and it's really not a problem) is my bike is a 07 and they changed the fairing, so i went out and adjusted the bars and got it to where the bars just miss bottoming out and still have locking available.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
i saw the picture's but the problem (and it's really not a problem) is my bike is a 07 and they changed the fairing, so i went out and adjusted the bars and got it to where the bars just miss bottoming out and still have locking available.

Glad it worked out! Amazing really how a small adjustment like that changes the bike. As far as the wrist fatigue I was having I bought the cramp buster (CB2) from eBay and it actually does help. I would recommend it to anyone, well worth the 10 bucks for sure.