(Mechanical) New Englanders

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT: Please see this updated thread with video: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-g...ne-rattle.html (Engine Rattle)

Hey- I remember noticing a bunch of Mass folks on here when I first got my fz6 last fall.

My bike's recently developed a new buzz/rattling sound at idle. Not sure how serious (if at all) this is. Would be cool to have someone more familiar with the bike take a listen. Haven't really ridden it enough to know how it's supposed to sound. I'd bring beer or some other token of my appreciation to any meetup.

Where are you guys at? Would be fun to just get together for a ride anyway.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey- I remember noticing a bunch of Mass folks on here when I first got my fz6 last fall.

My bike's recently developed a new buzz/rattling sound at idle. Not sure how serious (if at all) this is. Would be cool to have someone more familiar with the bike take a listen. Haven't really ridden it enough to know how it's supposed to sound. I'd bring beer or some other token of my appreciation to any meetup.

Where are you guys at? Would be fun to just get together for a ride anyway.

Post a video with the sound...you will get lots of help.

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
Post a video with the sound...you will get lots of help.

OK- battery actually died on me this weekend as well, but when the new one comes in/if I decide to push start it, I'll get that up.

I'm in Waltham if you want to come by. Not sure how helpful I'll be but we can compare yours with my mine. let me know

That sounds good- I'll shoot you a PM once I get the new battery in.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the South End. Video would help and more details. Does it do it all the time, or just when engine cold at start up? Does it change with engine rpm or stay constant regardless of rpm? Have you owned the bike since new or buy used? How has the maintenance been done?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Rattling followed by a dead battery, wonder if they're related? Could be something in the stator/regulator/rectifier area

KnuckleBallz

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the South End. Video would help and more details. Does it do it all the time, or just when engine cold at start up? Does it change with engine rpm or stay constant regardless of rpm? Have you owned the bike since new or buy used? How has the maintenance been done?

Nice- I work in the South End. It seems to be more present at the end of a ride than the beginning. Sounds almost like a screw is loose somewhere.

I've owned the bike since November. It's an 04. The PO kept track of all his oil changes, etc done yearly. I changed the oil before the start of the season and got a new chain with some new tires. (tires/chain done @ the shop, not by me)

Rattling followed by a dead battery, wonder if they're related? Could be something in the stator/regulator/rectifier area

I'm 90% sure the two are unrelated. When I bought the bike the battery was dying on the guy regularly. I took it to advance auto and got a new charge. Ran fine the rest of the season. I expected it to be dead this spring, but surprisingly it was good to go when I tried to start it. I put it on a tender & got it up to full strength & have been riding it since the end of April. Rode it to work Friday morning, all good. Rode to band practice that night & that was that.

The yellow dummy light did come on right before I parked the last time, but only for a few seconds and it hasn't popped up again.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple to do list:
  • Check ALL bolts! Just because the fairing rattles, it could be something/somewhere else causing it.
  • Add fuel cleaner
  • Plugs are supposed to be replaced ever 8,000 miles. Mine are at 15, look great.
  • Inspect spark plug caps, loose and they cause vibes.
  • After a tank of fuel treatment and new plugs, Throttle Body Sync!
  • If you find during TB sync that vacuum is jumping all over the map, inspect valve lash.
  • Of course, the Fizzer always likes fresh oil!