MV Augusta Brutalle 800RR Ride Review

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a short test ride on the 800RR today at Motorcycle Live. It was very restricted, we had outriders and were on best behaviour, so I can't really comment on performance outside of very sensible road riding.

Looks:

It's gorgeous. Straight up, no quibbles, gorgeous. I'm not accepting any "subjective" arguments on that, lol. Single sided swingarm, that triple slash exhaust by your right foot, USD forks, that sculpted tank, the teardrop headlight and that BEAST of an engine.

Riding position :

Was weird. The seat gives you one place, and that's with your gentleman (or lady) parts right up against the tank, there is no scope in the saddle for moving your bottom anywhere else. The pegs are back, and coupled with the forward seating position, puts your feet far behind you, with your toes pointing almost straight down. The bars are completely flat, but here's the weird part. It's an incredibly short bike, and I'm sure the length has been taken off the front, so your upper body is forced upright as your hands are relatively close in to your hips.

The best way I can describe it is, if you put your weight on your hands, on the edge of a desk, then balance on your toes with your legs behind you. Obviously it's not as extreme as that, but you get the description.

There is a pillion seat. I don't know anyone with a small enough bottom to use it.

The ride:

Like I said, we were being very sensible. No more than 50mph. I got her in to 4th, but immediately regretted it and went back down to 3rd.

At low speed, that riding position made turning in to roundabouts particularly, very difficult as I struggled to counter steer properly with my weight so far forward. Couple that with the abrupt nature of the clutch, made slow speed manoeuvring difficult.

The engine did not want to behave. It wanted to launch, every time. It wasn't happy that it wasn't allowed to kill me. Open it up and it was sweet as a nut, but partially closed it was difficult. The quick shifter took some getting used to, but was great once I'd settled in. I don't know if it did down shifts too: I didn't want to try it and get it horribly wrong as I've never used one before. Upshifts were short sharp flicks of the toe, but down shifts seemed like a long throw of the lever for some reason.

Back to the riding position - on the road, you can't see the clocks, at all. Which, again, made low speed, speed limit watching difficult. The mirrors are good though.

The noise was amazing. I've never been intimidated by a loud bike before. But this was a growling, snarling, beast of a machine. A guy I'd been nattering with in the queue ended up 7 bikes back. He said at the end, all he could hear was the MV.

Summery:

It's epic. I imagine it's a bit like having a highly strung Italian supermodel for a girlfriend who thinks you've cheated on her. She'll slap you round the face then snog you half to death. Would I buy one? Much like an Italian supermodel girlfriend, that's a hard shout. I like my fuel gauge, my big fuel tank, my comfort, my ability to move about in the saddle. But I really want an Italian supermodel girlfriend. It's now made a potential bike purchase for next year a very difficult choice.

Pros:

Looks, engine, noise, quick shifter, did I mention looks? And the looks.

Cons:

Not entirely practical, the indicator switch was under the horn (stupid place to put it, but I suppose Italians use their horns first, and don't know what indicators are), not easy to ride, no view of dash, strange long downshifts.

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Could probably due with a few fueling tweaks, and maybe some aftermarket stuff to alleviate clutch issues, and you'd probably be good to go! Any time I've done a demo ride, I'd pop the bike in neutral, throw my visor up, and undo my jacket a bit. Soon as we start rolling "Oh! Silly me!" I'd have to put everything back to where it should have been, and then I'd have a nice margin to crack it - even with the other people riding alongside!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, we were specifically warned about that.

I don't know if was me or the fuelling. It has a few rider modes and I remember seeing an "A" on the dash before we set off, so maybe the bike was at DEFCON 1 while I was on a training mission so to speak.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that MV do make some of the nicest looking bikes around but it's hard to see any of them as practical or day-to-day commuting bikes.
Fueling is a simple problem fixed by a power commander so don't let that put you off.

With my current bike the Honda CB1000R it does have some of those features, a grunty, torquey naked with a single sided swing arm looks. But it is also comfortable, decent fuel range, smooth fueling with a PCV and fantastic agility. It was designed in Italy but with Honda reliability.
DSC09598b.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although not apples to apples its larger older sibling the 2012 1090RR suffers from the same throttle issues. The rewet upon corner exit made street riding unpleasant as its simply to abrupt.
The fix was a new ECU and software to tune it. Its night and day different once we we done. Granted, the maps for ignition and fueling were very close (bought ecu with flash), it took some minor tweaks to dial it in. It now makes 147 RWHP. It also has titanium exhaust! Bars and rearsets were also swapped and the fit is like described above. Rider is over the front wheel so its a different feel! Awesome Bikes tho! I'd take an 800 any day!

At least it has adjustable suspension ($$$$$$)!!!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Receiving emails like this:

152f6497a901219f14c5a1dc5cd0b73c.jpg

Is not helping my resolve to stick to sensible, planned financial commitments.

Must stay strong!