My custom Exhaust Project

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very clean so far, very professional looking work!!!

I will be very interested to hear the final product as well as like to know if the carbon fiber end caps effect the sound at all. When I made my exhaust---this--->http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/40828-machine-gun-exhaust.html

I had 3 main goals in mind, cost, being loud as hell, but mainly looking good. I achieved all 3 but I'm still not very happy with the sound. When riding the bike it sounds like heaven, but hearing someone else ride it has a high pitch "tinny" note over powering the deep rumble that I like. I've cut it open 3 times now changing baffles and re doing DB killers to try and eliminate that "tinny" note but it's still there. I wonder if adding some end caps would help? I think what's going on is the sound reverberating off that fairly thin stainless outlet that is causing the sound?

The stainless might be your problem, stainless is quite a hard steel and you will notice if you hit it, it rings like a bell. I hope with the ali I have got with its slightly thicker wall, about 1.4mm I think, it will make a nice deep sound, aluminium is very soft meaning it should absorb the high frequencies better and give a bit of bass. This is all theory though, Ill be sure to post a vid when its all done.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's why I lurve my Scorpion Carbon cans - no metallic reverberation, so no 'tinny' sound.

If you can't get carbon outer sleeves, I'd try lining the inside of the can sleeves with a high temperature medium to absorb the higher frequencies. (or even several coats of high-temp paint)

Cheers,
Rick

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
Heres an update for you guys.

The last couple days I have been back at work and have managed to get the second carbon cap made. Soo pleased with how they look. Think Im going to mount them in the angled position like in these pictures. What you guys think?

I have'nt managed to get the ali tubes in a lathe yet as the two people I have spoken to say they are too big! So I think Im going to try and create some sort of internal clamp and get them done on my freinds lathe friday night.

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
Its getting exciting now guys, spent all day beavering away in my garage.

Got the ali tubes cut down by 2 inches, for clearance and looks.
Reduced the OD on the ends so the carbon slipped on nicley.

Cut down the baffle tubes.

Pushed the inlet caps onto the baffle tubes.
Wrapped the baffles with steel wool then a layer of glass wool.

Drilled and riveted the carbon caps to the ali with the rivet band.
Inserted baffles and riveted inlet caps in place.

Assembled with exhast gum to seal.

The cans are now complete Im really happy with them hope you guys like!

Just need to get a bracket made to hang the cans from and get a Y piece fabbed!

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
I cleaned the cans up a little yesterday, here are some better pictures of them.

I also managed to find a company called SP Engineering who make 'y' pipes. So I ordered one on Tuesday and it arrived yesterday! Came complete with mounting brackets for the cans, result! I did actually fit them last night too so I will upload pictures of.them on the bike later on!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the finished project guys, I'm really happy. I think the look awesome, and the noise is immense. It crackles and pops on the overun, just puts a big smile on my face! I'll try and upload a video later on to show how it sounds!

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the finished project guys, I'm really happy. I think the look awesome, and the noise is immense. It crackles and pops on the overun, just puts a big smile on my face! I'll try and upload a video later on to show how it sounds!

Looking forward to the video! looks great man!

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
Heres a sound clip guys, it was taken on my phone which doesnt really do it justice, it sounds awesome when riding, really deep low bassy sound, no tinny noises at all I love it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSlpyJPX7Q4&list=UU19m2GEVFpVQmqc8KaXHBBQ&index=1&feature=plcp]Yahama FZ6 sound - custom exhaust pipes - YouTube[/ame]

sudds

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my y pipe, its not ideal as it doesn't split evenly and one can gets loads hotter than the other, it'll do for now though!