New Member from the UK

GracianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am a Spaniard happily living in UK, I have the motorbike license for 26 years and I have just bought a 2007 FZ6 with ABS and I cannot be so happy.

What a machine!! it is so enjoyable, so smooth and plenty of power when needed.

Glad to be in this forum, ready to learn a lot from our machines and from you guys...

Regards.

20200704_124625 (Medium).jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet bike..

Just an FYI, your bike (by US standards-build date), is actually an S1 (pre 2007).

Sooooo, if buying parts, referring to it, it is an earlier date build bike.

*Some countries date the bike when it's sold, not when built.
Your welded on, passenger foot pegs, dash gauge, gives it away..

GracianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet bike..

Just an FYI, your bike (by US standards-build date), is actually an S1 (pre 2007).

Sooooo, if buying parts, referring to it, it is an earlier date build bike.

*Some countries date the bike when it's sold, not when built.
Your welded on, passenger foot pegs, dash gauge, gives it away..
Yes, thanks knew it was an S1,
do you think it´s worth to put the double piston caliper from the S2 version?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
do you think it´s worth to put the double piston caliper from the S2 version?

Good question...

I don't know if the mounting to fork bolt pattern is the same or not.

I can say that although more pistons are more efficient, with that, crap that accumulates
around, now 4 pistons, is twice as much.

IE, lots of brake dust, mixed with road grime, more caliper seals (that harden/stick over time) tends to cause the brake caliber to stick more, dare I say, PROBABLY more than an S1.

IMO, with what you have, I'd put SS brake lines on and leave the rest-

Un-less you need more braking power, like doing slightly more maintenance, leave yours stock..

*Yamaha recommends brake caliber seal REPLACEMENT EVERY TWO YEARS. In real life, you can get much more than that. I check for excessive brake drag by simply raising the ft wheel, (put a piece of masking tape on the tire) and spin the tire as hard as I can. If you can't get 1-2 FULL revolutions(free spin), I'd be re-sealing the calipers (or clean about them first and re-check).

My S2 video, after the last re-build, brakes were applied(pay attention), but the bike is pleasure only, generally doesn't see rain, etc.:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good question...

I can say that although more pistons are more efficient, with that, crap that accumulates

IE, lots of brake dust, mixed with road grime, more caliper seals (that harden/stick over time) tends to cause the brake caliber to stick more, dare I say, PROBABLY more than an S1.

Un-less you need more braking power, like doing slightly more maintenance, leave yours stock..

*Yamaha recommends brake caliber seal REPLACEMENT EVERY TWO YEARS. In real life, you can get much more than that. I check for excessive brake drag by simply raising the ft wheel, (put a piece of masking tape on the tire) and spin the tire as hard as I can. If you can't get 1-2 FULL revolutions(free spin), I'd be re-sealing the calipers (or clean about them first and re-check).

My S2 video, after the last re-build, brakes were applied(pay attention), but the bike is pleasure only, generally doesn't see rain, etc.:

....but if you decide to replace caliper seals, I HIGHLY recommend this: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0591

I recently rebuilt a set of 4 piston calipers, and instead of using a compressor to push the pistons out, this little gem will grab the piston from the inner bore an allow you to gently remove it. For 32 bucks it works out to $4.00 per piston.....

GracianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good question...

Thanks for the useful information, Townsend.
I am pretty sure forks are different but not sure if bolt pattern is same.
The reason I am asking is that I am wondering why Yamaha put double pistons on the S2 which at the end of day it was a restyling for the S1.
Was it because they were looking for a more powerful braking that the S1 didn´t have? I guess so..

Yes, I think I will leave the stock.

By the way, I have just got frozen about Yamaha recommending caliper seals replacement every two years o_O, whatttt!!!

Thanks again.

GracianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
....but if you decide to replace caliper seals, I HIGHLY recommend this: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0591

I recently rebuilt a set of 4 piston calipers, and instead of using a compressor to push the pistons out, this little gem will grab the piston from the inner bore an allow you to gently remove it. For 32 bucks it works out to $4.00 per piston.....
Hi Trepetti,
Very useful information.
That is in the US market, I hope I can find this in Europe.
Thanks.

GracianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, guys, I was thinking to put a LED H4 bulb in the low beam. do you know if there is any post talking about this?

It has got installed a halogen bulb one now.

I have seen this one on eBay:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is a 2005...and accoring to the math I learned in the 1970's...the seals are now 15 years old. The DOT4 gets changes often enough and everything works as its supposed too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I noted earlier, the S2's, with twice as many seals, seem to need replacement (drag)more often than the first generation..

My old FJR (2004) had 4 caliper pistons(same as our S2). I had those caliper(s) / seals need replacement with less than 10,000 miles on the clock. Excessive drag, super HOT ROTORs (with the brakes NOT applied).

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree Scott, when the caliper drags on the rotor (causing heat) or the brakes begin to get graby (the piston resists movement and then it suddenly moves) it's time for caliper rebuilding.

GracianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good question...

Hi Scott,

Where did you get the brake caliper seal replacement information from?

Also, I do not have experience in motorcycle maintenance but yes in cars and caliper are rarely replaced on them; when I did replace them it was not really needed and it was in a 15 years old Audi.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Parts wise, I bought them from an on-line dealer- Partzilla: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

If asking about the actual replacement, the shop manual covers it and their pretty much the same as an automotive caliper.

Getting ALL the pistons out can be difficult as some will stick, some won't. For the ones that stick, I used compressed air however, watch your fingers as it's very easy to get them pinched as a piston may come out VERY QUICKLY.

The 4 piston calipers are obviously twice as involved but once apart, pretty basic..

When my seals were "hanging up", I tried cleaning, re-lube with brake specific grease. That helped but only for a short period of time. There's nothing like brand new seals. The braking heat does take it's toll on the seals and hardens them up causing sticking and loosing their flexibility...

Lastly, for re-assembly (I tried both), do NOT use brake grease (even a little) on the pistons. Just brake fluid for everything.