New Member Intro and Purchase Question

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everybody! I wanted to introduce myself to the Forum. My name is AJ. I am 23 years old and I'm originally from Tampa Bay, FL but currently reside in the frozen tundra that is Western NY. Normally I am more of a Forum reader and not a poster, but I have been reading the forum threads for a few days now and I really feel like this is a great community environment so I have decided to join and post. I still have a few weeks (hopefully) before the weather breaks but I have decided that the FZ6 is the bike for me. I have been riding for about a year now. My first bike was a 1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ650. It was a perfect bike to learn on and hopefully I will have the chance to own one again in the future. But for now my future lies with the FZ6 :rockon:

Now comes the question...and I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this question.

I was originally looking for a 2007 or later model because of the improvements/changes made to the tach, windscreen, swingarm, and front brakes. However, recently I have found a great deal on a slighty used (~1000 mi.) 2006 FZ6 that is almost too hard to pass up. I would appreciate any insight as to whether the changes made to the 2007/later model make it worth it to spend more for the newer bike or go with the deal on the 2006. I have calculated the price difference would be about $2600. What should I do?

Thank you in advance

AJ

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Hey AJ. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good deal on the '06. I can only speak about the '07 (that's what I've got), but I've never seen any indication on this site that someone with an '06 wishes they'd held out for an '07. Here's one way to look at it: 1000 miles will happen real fast on the bike, so if you get the '07 in a month or two, when you've got 1000 miles on it, you can figure that you spent $2.60 per mile to make sure you broke it in right. That's some expensive riding. So, It all depends on how much you want the '07 upgrades, how much you want control over the breakin, and how much that $2600 means to you right now.

Good luck with the decision. Great to have you on board.

ecurb

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and also to the FZ6 world. Ecurb wrote it very well and i agree a lot with his post. The fairing upgrade was the biggest thing for me, other than that i have not heard anyone with the last model wish for the new one. I have an 07 and love the look of it.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from Tampa too. Now living across the state in Palm Bay. I went to Leto High '75, and USF '86. :rockon:

I actually grew up in the St. Petersburg area, went to Lakewood High. And have a ton of friends that went to South Florida. Go Bulls!

As far as the bike, you make some great points. I do like the look of the redesigned 07 fairing, however, but I dont think I like it $2.60/mile more :D. I will be test riding the 2006 tomorrow so that will be huge deciding factor.

Thanks for the advice!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the site! I cannot comment on the older models because i bought mine brand new '08. But like stated above none of the other members with pre-'07's have complained about not holding out. It is a move you will have to make on your own. Good luck!