New owner of 06 FZ6S. 15T/43T what effect does this have?

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys. I just picked up an 06 FZ6S today in Sydney, Australia. I have only ridden it a few klm to home as it is pissing down rain. I will use the bike for inner city commuting through CBD traffic and occasional weekend runs up to 150 km/h.

I have had a Kawa Versys 650 that I changed the rear sprocket to lengthen the gears and currently ride a BMW R1200GS watercooled, actually the BM blew up last month and I am waiting until Nov for a new one so I just bought this FZ6 to run around on until the new bike is ready. I can't remember a damn thing about sprockets, lol.

I note that it has 15T front and 43T rear sprockets. The bike felt like it would not go above 8000 rpm in my short ride, any idea what the net effect of this sprocket combo should be?

I understand that the factory sizes are 16/46, not sure what/if I should change my 15/43? My chain is a 124L, can I presume that I would remove links on the chain if I change sprockets?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
16/46 is almost an identical ratio to 15/43. The difference is about 0.3%

Ok, so any idea what this combo will do for the ride? I have only ridden this bike a few klm home last nite and I felt it was struggling to go above 8K but I did not have a decent test in traffic and rain.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
For me, the bike only wants to go more once you get above 8k. It seems odd to me that it isn't wanting to rev higher. That might point to an underlying problem.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Doesn't matter what sprockets you're rockin' at 8k the bike should turn into a rocket and easily rev to 13k. Unless somehow you ended up with European model with a restrictor.

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't matter what sprockets you're rockin' at 8k the bike should turn into a rocket and easily rev to 13k. Unless somehow you ended up with European model with a restrictor.

Maybe I am wrong, I have not had many chances to open it up yet, need to get on it over the w/e and discover it. I note that the throttle cable has a bit of resistance and that if I wind it on all the way with engine off that it sticks at a WOT. Probably need to lube or change the cable?

After it stops raining I will take it out for more than the 3 klm of CBD traffic I have so far ridden, lol.

So is my 15/43 combo exactly the same as if I had a 16/46?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Just divide the teeth to find the ratio. Smaller numbers should mean more top speed (or at least lower rpm's at normal speeds). Larger numbers should mean quicker acceleration and a lower top speed (and higher rpm's at cruising speed).

In simple terms, the ratio is just how many times the transmission output shaft turns for each time the rear wheel rotates.

In your case, 15/43 = .3488 versus the stock 16/46 = .3478. This should give almost no appreciable difference.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You probably would be happiest with the stock 46 rear. The 15/46 combo is great for around town riding and gives you a slight bit more acceleration.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another factor is wrapping the chain tighter. You have increased friction at both ends... Granted its close to the same ratio but chain is bending more....

Maybe that combo was dirt cheap so it went on?

Voz

Reaction score
Visit site
Great responses, thanks.

The bike should not be restricted, there is a restricted version of this avail in Australia for new riders, I think later than my 2006 though.

I will get out in the next few days and try to get a better feel for it.

I need to get on top of the binding throttle, need to lube this? Also need to findi a way of lowering the gear change, is this possible?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 16/48. It is fun to say the least! Even at 80 mph on the freeway, it is still smooth with no vibration.

This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed to 15/46 and it runs with more power so to say, but the speedo is even more off than before. I don't care much about the speed difference, but it throws the real mileage (add), and harder to track the maintenance intervals.
Do you do something about it?

seansi

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed to 15/46 and it runs with more power so to say, but the speedo is even more off than before. I don't care much about the speed difference, but it throws the real mileage (add), and harder to track the maintenance intervals.
Do you do something about it?

I think a speed healer would fix it.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I increased my rear sprocket by 2 teeth. Yeah the speedo/odo is off. Since I switched to synthetic oil, I have double the oil change interval. So with the larger rear sprocket I am changing oil at 7k instead of 8k, if I go by the odo. Oh well.

This space intentionally left blank.