New touring gear!!!

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
This being my first thread please be easy on me. With that said, September of last year I picked up my 09 FZ6 and have been looking for touring gear since then. Most of my riding is local but my wife and I do take several overnight trips and usually one long trip per year. After putting a couple thousand miles on the bike I realized that I didn't want to permanently install any bags so that led me to the SW Motech Blase saddlebags and the Givi T489 tank lock. With a quick call and a whole paycheck to Twisted Throttle they were on the way.

The first thing I noticed when the boxes arrived was the quality of the bags, both the Givi and SW bags used really heavy duty material in their construction. The mounting of the Givi Tanklock bag consisited of removing three bolts from the gas filler and installing a low profile mounting ring. The tankbag then just locks onto the mounting ring and is ready to go.

The mounting of the Blase saddlebags is a little more involved. All of the bracketry comes unassembled and there are a lot of little fiddley bits in the box to contend with. The instructions are minimal but workable so the assembly went fairly smooth. The core of the system is the support arms that attach to the passenger footpeg brackets. When the arms are removed all that is left is two small brackets right at the top of the passenger footpeg bracket.

Once I had it all installed it was time for a hot lap. At freeway speeds everything stayed put and nothing got in the way. The tankbag is small enough that you don't even know it is there unless you are looking at it. The only part of the tankbag I do not like is it has a safety strap that loops around your handlebars. From what I have seen it isn't necessary and I don't like the idea of anything messing with my steering. I think it will meet the hot knife soon. Other than that the whole install is very solid and looks like it will serve great. In the spring I will be going on a ten day tour and will post an update to let you know how it works in the real world.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good, I am sure that you are excited about getting to try everything out!!! I got a lot of touring stuff for Christmas, and can't wait to try everything out for myself!!! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Now get yourself a MADstad windshield and send your seat out to Spencer's Motocare for the Supracor upgrade. You will be glad you did.

I too have those saddle bags and would reccommend purchasing some better "drybag" inserts. The ones that come with the set do not keep things dry.

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, after a few months of use and two good tours I have an update on the new touring gear. The first tour I took was a 2000 mile week long trip through the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. This was the first long trip with the FZ6 and turned out to be a really good way to test out the gear.

Before I left I took the advice posted here and packed everything in space saver vacuum bags instead of the bags supplied by Bags Connection. This turned out to be a good idea because it rained every day we were on the blue ridge. The saddlebags themself are a little small when compared to my buddies Ogio bags but they about as perfect as you can get for removable luggage.

The tank bag took a little modification before we headed out. As it comes from Givi there is a strap that is designed to wrap around your handlebars and will hold it to the bike if the Tankloc fails. The more I rode with it the more I worried about the bag popping off and the safety strap messing up my steering and causing me to crash. With this thought in mind I hot knifed the strap and have never had a problem with the tankloc system.

On the road all of the new gear performed flawlessly. I am super impressed with all of the new gear and have no negatives with any of it. If you are looking for removable luggage that leave very little hardware on the bike when it is removed the Givi tankbag and Bags Connection blase saddlebags are the way to go.