NY106 in Harriman State Park

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from a trip to NY to visit with the in-laws. This year, first time ever, I trailered my motorcycle for our once-a-year visit and explored the surrounding area. We were there from Monday evening through Saturday at noon. Except for Friday I only rode in the early AM so my dear wife wouldn't accuse me of being antisocial. When I married the girl, I had no idea she lived right next to such an awesome set of roads. I accused her of holding out on me!

Then I spent most of Friday with Trepetti - who was a great host. He took us on a half-day loop that covered NY106, BOTH WAYS, two bridges across the Hudson, a tunnel and a really great cliff-side road. Oh, and a family-run ice cream shop at the top of a beautiful overlook.

I'm not much for photography - just ask my wife. So I didn't manage to get any shots of the roadside, or of Trepetti. Sorry 'bout that. But here are some links.

Restaurant with river/bridge view where we had lunch. The California burger was great, but the fries were PERFECT! ...and I'm picky about fries.

Blu Pointe | Fresh Fish • Prime Beef | Call 845.568.0100

Ice Cream Shop - check the photo gallery for some shots of the overlook.

Ice cream, Ice cream cakes and pies | Bellvale Farms Creamery

A really sweet ~300 degree curve along one of the lakes on NY106. Notice the next set of twisties, just ahead!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.231...4!1sBKOD12W5qbZ3yFtQ5MhFYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's a shot from the east side of the Hudson. On the right you can see the short tunnel. To the left and across the river you can see NY218 where it is cut into the side of the cliff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.440...4!1s1aNXdw36kHclF8LvKg8Wnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's the reciprocal view from the cliff-side. I think "Storm King" is a great name for a mountain.This road is NOT on that mountain, but the road leads to it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.435...m4!1sHqShYIqH2qoapenE7nkQ6A!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

And here's the car, bike, trailer. It's a Harbor Freight folding model. (First 2400 miles!)

http://www.600riders.com/gallery/sh...amp-3b-harbor-freight-folding-trailer&cat=790

15M6 & FZ6.jpg

And here's a shot of the TyreDown device to secure the rear wheel of the bike rather than using straps on the forks. Aussie design - Worked great!

http://www.600riders.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5168&title=tyredown-on-fz6&cat=790

TyreDown.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are some nice rides! We'll also have some nice rides when you get out here in a few weeks! :rockon:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got back from a trip to NY to visit with the in-laws. This year, first time ever, I trailered my motorcycle for our once-a-year visit and explored the surrounding area. We were there from Monday evening through Saturday at noon. Except for Friday I only rode in the early AM so my dear wife wouldn't accuse me of being antisocial. When I married the girl, I had no idea she lived right next to such an awesome set of roads. I accused her of holding out on me!

Then I spent most of Friday with Trepetti - who was a great host. He took us on a half-day loop that covered NY106, BOTH WAYS, two bridges across the Hudson, a tunnel and a really great cliff-side road. Oh, and a family-run ice cream shop at the top of a beautiful overlook.

I'm not much for photography - just ask my wife. So I didn't manage to get any shots of the roadside, or of Trepetti. Sorry 'bout that. But here are some links.

Restaurant with river/bridge view where we had lunch. The California burger was great, but the fries were PERFECT! ...and I'm picky about fries.

Blu Pointe | Fresh Fish • Prime Beef | Call 845.568.0100

Ice Cream Shop - check the photo gallery for some shots of the overlook.

Ice cream, Ice cream cakes and pies | Bellvale Farms Creamery

A really sweet ~300 degree curve along one of the lakes on NY106. Notice the next set of twisties, just ahead!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.231...4!1sBKOD12W5qbZ3yFtQ5MhFYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's a shot from the east side of the Hudson. On the right you can see the short tunnel. To the left and across the river you can see NY218 where it is cut into the side of the cliff.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.440...4!1s1aNXdw36kHclF8LvKg8Wnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's the reciprocal view from the cliff-side. I think "Storm King" is a great name for a mountain.This road is NOT on that mountain, but the road leads to it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.435...m4!1sHqShYIqH2qoapenE7nkQ6A!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

And here's the car, bike, trailer. It's a Harbor Freight folding model. (First 2400 miles!)

http://www.600riders.com/gallery/sh...amp-3b-harbor-freight-folding-trailer&cat=790
showphoto.php

And here's a shot of the TyreDown device to secure the rear wheel of the bike rather than using straps on the forks. Aussie design - Worked great!

http://www.600riders.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5168&title=tyredown-on-fz6&cat=790
showphoto.php

Glad we finally got together to ride Chris. Too many near-misses, right up to departure time! Its always good to meet other members and share our love for the FZ6. Thanks for the thanks. Any time you are in the area, bike or not, let me know and we can meet, ride or both.

Next time I'd like things to be calmer on my side so that I can get you together with Joe, Eric, and whoever else is local and available. We've all shared some good rides and good times and things are always better with one more.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, we did it again for 2016. This time motojoe122 joined us, riding all the way from south Jersey. It was great meeting with both of you. Hope your ride back went well.

I had a great time guys. It's great to visit my wife's family but the ride is the best part. And fortunately they're not going to read this

Chris

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, we did it again for 2016. This time motojoe122 joined us, riding all the way from south Jersey. It was great meeting with both of you. Hope your ride back went well.

I had a great time guys. It's great to visit my wife's family but the ride is the best part. And fortunately they're not going to read this[emoji16]

Chris

It was great to finally meet you in person, Chris, and to see you enjoying the R6S forks! Tom, always a pleasure to be in your company. I got no rest as soon as I got home.... Pick up one kid and take the other one to 2 soccer practices. ANY time on the bike is better than driving a mini van[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I had a great time guys. It's great to visit my wife's family but the ride is the best part. And fortunately they're not going to read this

Chris

Sounds like you had a great time (again)
:needpics: didn't any of you take pics?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you had a great time (again)
:needpics: didn't any of you take pics?

Lol, I don't think we took any[emoji51]
I pretty much rode up, ate lunch, and rode home. We did some talking too.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cloggy,

Sorry, but we didn't take any photos except I took one at the top of Bear Mountain. (Sorry Joe. I'm really bad about thinking of getting out the camera/phone.)

After Joe left, and Tom and I continued to Perkins Memorial Drive on Bear Mountain, when we got to the top, there were trucks everywhere with film crew stuff, lighting, etc. We asked and they were preparing to film a scene for "The Path" which I later learned is a TV/HULU series.

Here's the photo of the one piece of set. It was plywood and styrofoam from the back side. The tower in the background is always there.

Bear Mtn TV Shoot LRG.jpg

I didn't take a panorama shot but I should have because the view was exceptionally clear. You could see the outline of New York City very clearly. That is not common in the summer months when the humidity is usually high and causes haze.

But here's a link to a shot on Google Maps. Scroll till the view is to the south/southeast. The light gray rectangular blocks are the buildings of Manhatttan, about 25-30 miles as the crow flies.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.311...VaiItN6mwmUwQ/w203-h101-n-k-no/!7i7168!8i3584

Attachments

• Bear Mtn TV Shoot.jpg
    Bear Mtn TV Shoot.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 46

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cloggy,

Sorry, but we didn't take any photos except I took one at the top of Bear Mountain. (Sorry Joe. I'm really bad about thinking of getting out the camera/phone.)

After Joe left, and Tom and I continued to Perkins Memorial Drive on Bear Mountain, when we got to the top, there were trucks everywhere with film crew stuff, lighting, etc. We asked and they were preparing to film a scene for "The Path" which I later learned is a TV/HULU series.

Here's the photo of the one piece of set. It was plywood and styrofoam from the back side. The tower in the background is always there.

View attachment 66710

I didn't take a panorama shot but I should have because the view was exceptionally clear. You could see the outline of New York City very clearly. That is not common in the summer months when the humidity is usually high and causes haze.

But here's a link to a shot on Google Maps. Scroll till the view is to the south/southeast. The light gray rectangular blocks are the buildings of Manhatttan, about 25-30 miles as the crow flies.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.311...VaiItN6mwmUwQ/w203-h101-n-k-no/!7i7168!8i3584

No problem, Chris. I'm glad you guys were able to continue the ride. Bear is an all day ride that I just didn't have time for yesterday.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cloggy,

View attachment 66710

Well it sounds like you had a great ride and met good people and that's the most important thing :rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The best part was witnessing how happy Chris is with the spare R6s forks I passed on to him[emoji3]

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it sounds like you had a great ride and met good people and that's the most important thing :rockon:

Riding with friends is ALWAYS a great ride. Chris, Joe.... It was good getting a ride in with you both. We don't get together too often, and sometimes the meeting is short, but I will be happy to ride with you two whenever the opportunity resents itself.

Glad everyone made it home safely..... till we meet again..