oh deer

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here's the dillema....

The estimate for the repairs is $863.xx, basically a whole new front fairing (headlights, plastics, stay, etc). My insurance deductible is $500. I was checking on eBay and it looks like I could easily buy a replacement fairing on there for less than the price of my deductible. Now the question is, which is the better option? Either way I'm out $500, so the money is a wash as far as I'm concerned. I guess my problem is that I don't really understand how insurance works (it's some sort of black magic involving virgin sacrifices, that's all I know). I'm worried that if I file a claim my premium will go up some outlandish amount or there will be some other unknown affect. So what do you guys think: pay the deductible and let my insurance company deal with it and suffer whatever consequences that might entail? Or wait around for a red 07 fairing to show up on eBay and replace it myself?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
That is one of my fears is to hit a large animal: deer, dog, ect. I have hit a cat and an armadillo but nothing bigger. A few months ago i was driving my truck home from work. It was weird how that one day i decided to drive the truck because i hadnt even started it in over two weeks, I commute on the bike everyday. As i got within 5 minutes of my house a dog ran out in front of me while i was doing 50. Dog didnt make it but i was fine, imagine what would have happened if i had rode the bike like i always do.........

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here's the dillema....

The estimate for the repairs is $863.xx, basically a whole new front fairing (headlights, plastics, stay, etc). My insurance deductible is $500. I was checking on eBay and it looks like I could easily buy a replacement fairing on there for less than the price of my deductible. Now the question is, which is the better option? Either way I'm out $500, so the money is a wash as far as I'm concerned. I guess my problem is that I don't really understand how insurance works (it's some sort of black magic involving virgin sacrifices, that's all I know). I'm worried that if I file a claim my premium will go up some outlandish amount or there will be some other unknown affect. So what do you guys think: pay the deductible and let my insurance company deal with it and suffer whatever consequences that might entail? Or wait around for a red 07 fairing to show up on eBay and replace it myself?

You could ask your company to find out how much it would go up. If it is more than 5 bucks i would just buy what i needed. You dont have to replace everything on the front. A crecked fairing isnt keeping you from riding it, it may look bad but it works.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hitting a deer or a dog is pretty bad, but on Thursday, I had a 50 mph collision with .... a BEE! Yes, it somehow got down the throat of the my jacket and vest and shirt, and then stung me right on the sternum. It was a sharp little pain. I thought a little rock or pebble had hit me. Then it crawled around a bit more in there and stung me another time, the bastard. Two days later, it's kind of swollen and itchy.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey bro, I think I know why you are so upset, you know, you said you didnt know really why but... My thought is, you are a vegetarian. Your whole life is centered around not killing animals for food. Maybe you think the animals should give you special consideration since you dont eat them? I mean that sounds fair to me. Bad karma right there man.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
once again glad your okay! as far as the car flashing they might not have even seen it. as far as what you should do with insurance, it should not go up because it is a deer its not your fault! as far as the bee, i used to ride in a tshirt that was on a cruiser i had a bee go down my shirt and land on my back and sting me 5-6 times before i could pull over and get it out! as far as deer and dogs being big animals there is a far across the road from my dads shop one night a lady hit one of their cows that was in the middle of the road. how do you hit a cow? they are only like half the size of the car. and white and black would think the headlights would have picked that one up. and im sure it was there not like walking across the road...

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey bro, I think I know why you are so upset, you know, you said you didnt know really why but... My thought is, you are a vegetarian. Your whole life is centered around not killing animals for food. Maybe you think the animals should give you special consideration since you dont eat them? I mean that sounds fair to me. Bad karma right there man.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. I spend all this time not eating them and this is how they pay me back?!....the vegetarian thing is so off, somebody get me a steak!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol if your buying, a nice think prime rib sounds good or even a rib eye! Deer don't care, same idea as a wellfare baby complaining that they don't get enough money.... o wait na thats a whole different subject.....

cyclelover101

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wonder what's inside the head of the deer? Hmm, it's really good that you are okay. You might replace a bike and make it look new but you can't replace a life and make it live again.

One way or the other I am glad that there is no harm done to you and not so much damage to yourself. You are in full swing and be back on the road again after the insurance thingy being done of course.