Oil filters that will fit

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
lol still goin on about that dang bosch filter?
I did look at it and the seals on ALL the bosch filters are thinner then most other oil filters.
I like the longer can because they hold more oil, more oil in the bike = less concentrated use, and (hopefuly) better/longer oil life.

and yes Chevy, I do use the Bosch filter muhahahahah lol not knockin ya, just since my yzf600r loved it, and the FZ hasnt done any leaking like what you had, so Ill use it till it does somethin bad.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I know...lol... I've used Bosch on other vehicles with no issues, chances are I got a sub par filter, and combined with the cold it just couldn't hack it, but fool me once I won't give you the chance to fool me again lol

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
From the K&N website, the KN-303 is the right filter for the 2006 FZ6

On Amazon, they say the KN-303 is the right match for the '06 FZ6. I hope that's right cos I ordered a pair and I'm waiting for them... Need to change my filter and spark plugs!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking around at oil filters and noticed a new PureOne model, PLS14610.

It is marketed as a synthetic filter? Anyone use these yet? It got my attention since it comes in a nice BLUE :D

Also rated for 10,000 miles due do its wire backed pleat design. A bit pricey at $10.49...

Purolator PSL14610 Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive
Yeah I saw that the other day, I remember one of the forum members across the pond talking about it. I guess it would make sense to get if you keep it for 2-3 oil changes.... otherwise I honestly don't mind the yellow PureONE

blastoff

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a new-to-me FZ6 that's due for an oil change. Was at the dealer anyway, so got a Yamaha filter. Got the filter home, looked at it, and thought, "Huh. This looks suspiciously like the Nissan filter I have for the Murano's next oil change." The visual comparo was close, so I went to some cross-reference site. The Nissan filter and the Yamaha filter cross to the same what is probably a forklift filter, and my thought is that if A=B and B=C then A=C.

That said, I'll probably not use the Nissan filter. It's a very ugly grey. However, since they both cross to NAPA 1365....

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just put a Fram XG7317 ULTRA/Xtended Guard Premium Lube Filter.Its made for synthetic and conventional oils.It's supposed to be the best they make,they claim it will filter 15,000 miles.Not going to go that far on an oil change,even with full synthetic Mobil 1 4T! Going to dissect it next oil change.I'll post what I find. :rockon: Rich

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just put a Fram XG7317 ULTRA/Xtended Guard Premium Lube Filter.Its made for synthetic and conventional oils.It's supposed to be the best they make,they claim it will filter 15,000 miles.Not going to go that far on an oil change,even with full synthetic Mobil 1 4T! Going to dissect it next oil change.I'll post what I find. :rockon: Rich

I've had the people that work at Advance Auto tell me not to buy Fram filters:eek:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a new-to-me FZ6 that's due for an oil change. Was at the dealer anyway, so got a Yamaha filter. Got the filter home, looked at it, and thought, "Huh. This looks suspiciously like the Nissan filter I have for the Murano's next oil change." The visual comparo was close, so I went to some cross-reference site. The Nissan filter and the Yamaha filter cross to the same what is probably a forklift filter, and my thought is that if A=B and B=C then A=C.

That said, I'll probably not use the Nissan filter. It's a very ugly grey. However, since they both cross to NAPA 1365....

Yep, it's a popular filter size used on many motorcycles and cars.

I've posted this a few times, my favorite link to oils and filters that will work, with their recommendations as to what's best:

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

(... which is also the data provided in the first post in this thread, if I had bothered to look. :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N KN-303 Motorcycle/Powersports High Performance Oil Filter (as described on Amazon fits the '06 FZ6 and works beautifully!! Thinking about a K&N air filter now!!:D

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
L]
I've had the people that work at Advance Auto tell me not to buy Fram filters:eek:

I wouldn't use the cheaper Fram filters either.The XG7317 Ultra is a much better built filter,it uses two types of media to filter and heavier metal mesh backing the media.It's one of the longer ones so three quarts is perfect for proper fill level. Check it out here Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter | FRAM. Rich PS:most of the people working at Advance Auto are minimum wage workers.Many of them don't know what a boxend wrench is.I had one of them looking in their parts book for a chrome muffler bearing.She said she couldn't find a regular muffler bearing let alone a chrome one.Meanwhile an older worker was doing his best not to blow a gasket while holding in his laughter!:rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
L]

I wouldn't use the cheaper Fram filters either.The XG7317 Ultra is a much better built filter,it uses two types of media to filter and heavier metal mesh backing the media.It's one of the longer ones so three quarts is perfect for proper fill level. Check it out here Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter | FRAM. Rich PS:most of the people working at Advance Auto are minimum wage workers.Many of them don't know what a boxend wrench is.I had one of them looking in their parts book for a chrome muffler bearing.She said she couldn't find a regular muffler bearing let alone a chrome one.Meanwhile an older worker was doing his best not to blow a gasket while holding in his laughter!:rockon:
That's exactly what I was getting at...if the minimum wage workers know not to use the cheaper ones, it must say something about the filter.:thumbup:

blastoff

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it's a popular filter size used on many motorcycles and cars.

I've posted this a few times, my favorite link to oils and filters that will work, with their recommendations as to what's best:

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

(... which is also the data provided in the first post in this thread, if I had bothered to look. :rolleyes: )

Good golly, there's a lot there, and not just on oil!

Richard H

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know whether a Yamaha 5GH - 13440 - 50 oil filter which is meant to fit a Yamaha FJR 1300 2003 will cross fit a Yamaha FZ6 - S 2006 which normally takes a Yamaha 5GH - 13440 - 00 oil filter?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know whether a Yamaha 5GH - 13440 - 50 oil filter which is meant to fit a Yamaha FJR 1300 2003 will cross fit a Yamaha FZ6 - S 2006 which normally takes a Yamaha 5GH - 13440 - 00 oil filter?

If you can find a data sheet on each of them, just check the o-ring size (for proper mating surfaces) and check the thread size and pitch to make sure they will actually match in terms of the threads. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Kristis

Reaction score
Visit site
Just want to bring the good old topic back. Has anyone compared HiFlo to Puralator? HiFlo can be bought localy for 6eur, whole shipping Puralator from US costs 19.78eur. Is it really worth it?