Oil filters that will fit

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing I didn't use the tick marks. When all was finished, the level was near the fourth mark :(

Luckily, I purchased this at my local autozone. Really made the refill part easy.
AutoZone.com | Funnel | On-OffSpoutPouringTubewithCapandHandleMeasuringFunnel

Measured 3 qts out of there and the dipstick shows it slightly above the top line after running it a few minutes.

The oil filter was the worst part. THe old yamaha filter would just not come off (type that didn't have a lock nut). Ended up using standard oil filter pliers and punctured the old one getting it off. Just hand tightened the new mobil 1 110.

No spills, the oil pan I got doubles as a carrying container and holds 7 qts (that I got at Pep Boys).

Just went for a ride. Shifting seems much, much lighter. The dealer had Yamalube 20-50 in there, and the clunk between 1st and 2nd is definitely jsut a clack now.

Also much less vibration in the pegs, so I couldn't be happier. If I take the bike in to the dealer for the 4k service, I am going to request that they not change the oil. Want to stick with the Rotella synth 5-40.

Thanks again for the invaluable info,

Scorpio

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
Writghtme43,

First, thanks for the posting. I have ~1500 on my Fz6 and want to change the oil myself for the last 3 months before having to winterize it.

Picked up the Mobil 1 M1-110, just couldn't go with the pure one gold. In hindsight, it is pretty well hidden.

Also went with everyone's positive opinions of the Rotella T 5w-40 synth. With the longer filter, is 3 QTs the right amount? And are the markings on the handle of the gallon jug accurate enough? So just go three ticks down on the quart side?

Thanks for the info guys, looking to do the change tomorrow. Will have to borrow a baking pan from the GF so I don't get oil all over my floor.

Scorpio

I am still learning here and just want to be sure as I am plan on doing an oil change tomorrow. "Rotella T 5w-40 synth" states no where that it is motorcyle oil and I was told to only use motorcycle oil in the wet clutch systems. So if I go with the Rotella T 5w-40 synth Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 1 Gal. Oil America's Farm & Home Store all will be well? Just wanna be sure I will be using the right stuff....Pretty sure I will also be going with the PureOne model.
Thanks for all the help guys getting the newb up! :)

C

CombatPenguin

I am still learning here and just want to be sure as I am plan on doing an oil change tomorrow. "Rotella T 5w-40 synth" states no where that it is motorcyle oil and I was told to only use motorcycle oil in the wet clutch systems. So if I go with the Rotella T 5w-40 synth Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 1 Gal. Oil America's Farm & Home Store all will be well? Just wanna be sure I will be using the right stuff....Pretty sure I will also be going with the PureOne model.

Yep that oil will be fine. Also the new Rotella t6 synth does state on the back label that it meets the jaso-ma standards for motorcycles.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. Same stuff I used. I hve just enough on my second bottle for one more change, then might switch to mobil 1 4t just to see if I notice a difference. If not, will stick with the rotella till it dies, as it is definitely cheaper for me.

The purolator would be awesome if it was still blue. That yellow is just plain hideous. I spray painted it blue and it looks alright.

Scorp

Vikingj

Minnesota Viking Fan
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a note....I have my bike in for what turned out to be a "staple" in the rear tire, so I guess thats getting replaced. I was told by my service person "not" to use the Pure One filter because it doesn't let enough oil flow. I think he was trying to sell an oil change but, has anyone else heard of that before? If it were the case, I think we have enough people here that use it that someone would have had engine problems by now.:confused:

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a note....I have my bike in for what turned out to be a "staple" in the rear tire, so I guess thats getting replaced. I was told by my service person "not" to use the Pure One filter because it doesn't let enough oil flow. I think he was trying to sell an oil change but, has anyone else heard of that before? If it were the case, I think we have enough people here that use it that someone would have had engine problems by now.:confused:

Don't worry about it. The only real problem that non-motorcycle oil filters pose is on bikes with roller bearing bottom ends because they require so little oil pressure, they can't trigger the oil bypass if needed. FZ6s don't have a roller bottom end and run pretty similar oil pressures to cars in which the filters were designed for. Many motorcyclists run these filters and you'd be hard pressed to find one that messed up a motor.
I don't know anything about purolator's quality, but if the filter is up to its intended specs, you are fine.

D

Deleted member 17211

Bought a Bosch, it's what AutoZone had in stock. =)

Last edited by a moderator:

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used the Wallymart Supertech Oil Filters (3xs), cheap, but won't be buying or using them ever. They are a hassle to take off, they slip too much with the Oil Filter Wrench....I'm going to try the Purolator Pure onePL14610...I also like the K&N, for ease of removal, but too much $$.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
I love K&N, they are $9 on amazon and get free s/h if order $25, I'll always order 3 at a time since they will be used anyway.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used the Wallymart Supertech Oil Filters (3xs), cheap, but won't be buying or using them ever. They are a hassle to take off, they slip too much with the Oil Filter Wrench....I'm going to try the Purolator Pure onePL14610...I also like the K&N, for ease of removal, but too much $$.

Agreed. The metal on SuperTechs seems to be thinner == than Yamaha filters, anyway. My last SuperTech was a stubborn one to get off so I took pliers to it. The case tore immediately so I had to move on to the hammer-a-screwdriver-through-the-filter method. That finally got it off, but it resulted in little bits of broken plastic filter guts everywhere, including a piece laying in the channel into the engine. Hopefully nothing went all the way through.

This time I didn't tighten the new filter to 12 ft/lbs torque as the manual dictates, so hope not to go through that again. But will also try a different brand filter next round.

Reaction score
Visit site
I see that the Amsoil filter on the original page ISN'T recommended, but that was in 2007.

Is the new one, EaOM103, ok to use?

I'm switching to their 10w-40 syn right now at 4k miles with the supertech filter I already bought. So I'm asking about the next change I guess :thumbup:

Thanks

lunchboxer

Reaction score
Visit site
Changed my oil today using the Bosch longer filter and Mobil 1 4T(O'Reilly's had a very limited selection on JASO approved oil). 3 quarts seems to get oil on the dipstick just slightly. Want to mention too that the drain plug was so loose I didn't even need a breaker bar.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For those concerned about color, the following link states that the Bosch filters are internally exactly the same as the Purolators. And they are black. Just saying.

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Try Bosch at your own risk!!! There gasket is thinner and is prone to leaking when used on the fz6!!! How do I know you ask? Because it happend to me, I even compared new Bosch filters to new pureone's and the gasket was still considerably thinner

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Motul 7100 and the Purolator PureOne PL14610.

The Purolator apparently has more filter media, and better fine particle suppression.

As it's a bit longer than the stock Yamaha filter, it holds a little more volume of oil, so that is something to be aware of, when refilling your bike.

The outside has a rough texture, making it a bit easier to get a hold of, for removal - and as for the yellow colour?

Doesn't bother me too much - it's a bit like the brake calipers or wharever else on tuner's cars. A splash of yellow on an otherwise blue/silver bike.

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Rick

zanadu

Reaction score
Visit site
Try Bosch at your own risk!!! There gasket is thinner and is prone to leaking when used on the fz6!!! How do I know you ask? Because it happend to me, I even compared new Bosch filters to new pureone's and the gasket was still considerably thinner
Did put some oil around it before installation? Could also be a matter of you just having to torque it down a bit more.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I oiled it, and I tried tightening it as well with no luck, the tighter I went the more it leaked, that's just a risk you take putting a car filter on a bike. The only reason I bought the Bosch to begin with was the place I stopped to get it was out of the pureone's so I figured I give Bosch a try and will never again

I'll also add that it held fine for about 2500miles but the day it dropped below 32 it started leaking, I've ran the pureone's down into the teens with no leaks, also this was the first filter I've ever had leak.

Last edited: