Oil on swingarm

Pre-emptive Exit

Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably a real newby question.
I noticed a lot of oil has accumulated on the swingarm, on the chain side, also on a few other bits. Could it be that I have over oiled the chain, or could something else be amiss? I don't think the FZ6 has an oil outlet anywhere there does it?
Thanks

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No oil outlet anywhere. Hopefully it is sling from the chain but you will want to inspect the underside and lower side of the engine to make sure oil is not leaking the. Being thrown on the chain and slung onto the swing arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my bike, I thought oil as well but it was dirty fling from chain. Looked exactly like used oil and was on the left side of engine down to swing arm.

Switched to a different lube (DuPont Teflon) and never had a problem again.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my bike, I thought oil as well but it was dirty fling from chain. Looked exactly like used oil and was on the left side of engine down to swing arm.

Switched to a different lube (DuPont Teflon) and never had a problem again.
Same experience here.

OP, take off the front sprocket cover, too. It's also probably full of fling-off that should be cleaned up. Most any kind of degreaser will work. I used the Dupont stuff in a can before, now all I use is kerosene which works really well.

Pre-emptive Exit

Reaction score
Visit site
Same experience here.

OP, take off the front sprocket cover, too. It's also probably full of fling-off that should be cleaned up. Most any kind of degreaser will work. I used the Dupont stuff in a can before, now all I use is kerosene which works really well.

Thanks, well we use chainsaw oil as it's convenient but I should really look at investing in something else perhaps. It hasn't been a problem until recently, but I think I applied too much/didn't let it rest long enough. I thought maybe it could be because it's got hotter, but as there's no outlet I guess not.
Thanks for all the responses!

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

i also get this problem. I cleaned it yesterday and now it is filthy again with dirt and oil etc..

It looks like from the comments that a change of lube and to clean out the sprocket is the best way to go?

Living in the UK, any suggestions on what lube to use. Also, where is the sprocket located so i can clean this out?

Thanks for all the help and comments

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same experience here.

I'd pull the rear huger too and just clean it up.

Often the chain degreasing gets a stream of nasty dripping out. Long and short of it - some products are better than others. Take a look in the product review thread, you'll see some chain lube reviews...