Ok Im just throwing sh*t now... Exhaust install help...

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, its not that bad but Im stuck now. I bought a scorpion slip on from another memeber here. Good kit except that it was missing the plate bracket and my tag and turns are just hanging. He wont seem to respond now that I let him know its missing so I guess Ill deal with that after this...
The system went on fine but here is the issue. I was told to use muffler dope at the connections, which I did. Not aware the stuffs dries as a weld. Well, its leaking at the connection to the cat, where the scorpion pipes meets the Yamaha pipe. The problem is that I cant seperate the pipe now... So its leaking and I cant seperate to put on some high temp sealer. So what do I do now?
Any help would be great.
Thx guys

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, its not that bad but Im stuck now. I bought a scorpion slip on from another memeber here. Good kit except that it was missing the plate bracket and my tag and turns are just hanging. He wont seem to respond now that I let him know its missing so I guess Ill deal with that after this...
The system went on fine but here is the issue. I was told to use muffler dope at the connections, which I did. Not aware the stuffs dries as a weld. Well, its leaking at the connection to the cat, where the scorpion pipes meets the Yamaha pipe. The problem is that I cant seperate the pipe now... So its leaking and I cant seperate to put on some high temp sealer. So what do I do now?
Any help would be great.
Thx guys

I just used high temp gasket maker on mine so it would be easy to pull apart if needed. I never used the muffler dope, does the manufacturer have a phone number on the label you can call or maybe google to see if anyone has suggestions on seperating pipe with that on it?

Would a cheapo ebay tail tidy/fender elemenator work? Or maybe cut down your stock one to use it?

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
The tail is no problem, I just need the braclet from scorpion which I can deal with sourcing. I check the package tonight to see if I can call them but for now Im going to try to hit it with a torch i guess...

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
I spoke to the company and they said not to heat it as it will only make it stronger, soak it in water for a day and that should soften it a bit. How would I do that? Does the cat unbolt or do I have to remove the whole manifold?

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to save yourself some headache, you can just leave it alone and plug it up with exhaust sealant tape. Not sure if you care about aesthetics up close though.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
could you just wrap a wet towel around that section then wrap that in plastic wrap. may save you some time.

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
Both are good ideas, Im going to try the towel first and if not, I may just take it to a shop and have them weld it shut. Ive never used exhaust sealant tape, does it work well?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think the tape would just be a temporary fix.

How bad is the leak? Can you feel where it is leaking? Maybe try some jb weld on the spot that is leaking if it is out of sight and small lol if you can not get it apart? I would try to fix it the right way though if possible.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe give the wet towel approach to soften it, then go at it with a hammer and chisel.

I didn't apply any sealant to the joints of exhaust when I installed Leo Vince. no problems or leaks. good luck

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
All good! The towel did the trick and she came right off. Sanded it down and used red gasket maker. Started this morning and no leaks!
Also the seller got back to me about the missing arm for the plate and will send to me. (maybe he read the post, lol.)

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe give the wet towel approach to soften it, then go at it with a hammer and chisel.

I didn't apply any sealant to the joints of exhaust when I installed Leo Vince. no problems or leaks. good luck

That's awesome to know. I'm getting my Leos in the mail shortly and didn't know if I should worry about picking up some gasketing stuff. Thanks!

Glad everything worked out for the OP.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome to know. I'm getting my Leos in the mail shortly and didn't know if I should worry about picking up some gasketing stuff. Thanks!

Glad everything worked out for the OP.

I would use sealant as a last resort only. The Leo's are designed to be held together by a system of springs. If I remember correctly the only clamp you will use is on the header/cat pipe connection.

You are going to love the Leo's!!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
All good! The towel did the trick and she came right off. Sanded it down and used red gasket maker. Started this morning and no leaks!
Also the seller got back to me about the missing arm for the plate and will send to me. (maybe he read the post, lol.)

That is great, glad it was an easy fix!

Please paypal a $75 consultation fee to me for the towel idea ;)