Paint or Plasti Dip '06 FZ6? (Shops/Advice)

tdp32

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

New member here, and I'm wondering if anyone has any input for motorcycle paint shops in the NY/NJ area. I live in Rockland County, NY, about 30-35 min from NYC.

I went down back in December and cracked my fairing, I'm in the market for a new one, and I read somewhere that '04-06 FZ6s have identical front cowls, but for some reason the part I need is $430 for the '06 model and $151 for '05 models. Problem is, the '05 model doesn't come in my colorway (Red).

I'm not too upset about it, since I've always wanted a blacked out bike (matte black) anyway. So does anyone have any suggestions for paint shops in the area or prices that I can expect? I know there are a ton of threads about DIY tips, and I am open to them, but to be honest, I'm scared of messing up and would rather pay for it to be done professionally if it's not an unreasonable price. Was also considering plasti dip, but I understand that it's not a great long-term solution, and if I ever want to sell the bike, i'll be left with a blue or purple front cowl and red tank/side fairings haha.

The parts I need can be found on bike bandit, (2006 or 2005 Yamaha FZ6>Body & Fenders>OEM Parts>Cowling 1>Part 5 "Body, Front Upper 1") (can post a link if its allowed!)

Thanks again guys, and sorry for the essay!

-Matt

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't tell you about shops in your area, but I can say that I've had quite a bit of experience with plastidip and that if you are capable of riding the motorcycle, you are probably also capable of putting a decent coat of plastidip on it. This makes plastidip a much cheaper option. But yes, your resale will be lower if you have mismatched fairings, whether covered with plastidip or not. Spend more to get more back later, or spend less now and get less back later. You could always plastidip it now, then have it professionally painted whenever you decide to sell it. You probably won't get all of your money back from the paint job either way.

tdp32

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice man! I think the plasti dip is worth s shot for the short term at the very least, ordered the '05 front cowl last night and I'll give the plasti dip a shot when I get it! (Really hoping I can get away with my current stay/bracket for the front cowl lol)

Still would love to hear advice/suggestions from any other users, especially those who might know a good shop nearby! Found a shop called custompaintworkz out in Long Island, their work looks great, anyone heard of them/have experience with them by any chance?

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I sell plasti dip here in oz and love the stuff, put it on right and it is good as gold. Easy to apply 4-5 coats and im sure you can get the spray from dip your car which looks after it when done.