Plasti dipping my 08FZ6

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm planning to plastiDip my Raven FZ6 to either a White'n'Black or RED'n'Black. Just tank, front fairings, under sear fairings, bar ends and dip my Exhaust Cover with Black.
I have a small scrape on crank case, I'll dip it black again, since other colors might not look great.

I watched videos on how to do them, how to take care after dipping.

My question here is, what precautions do I need to take before painting these parts(in order not to mess my bike and its components)? Any tips or tricks? couldn't find a thread for painting bike in this forum.

Any suggestions on which and where the combinations work fine?

Along with this job, thinking of smoking the head/tail lights to minimum level (need to upgrade the bulbs in headlights and do bd43 mod).

The frame, wheels will be black and untouched.

And how to get the stickers? I'm debating OEM stickers to reflective vinyls from India (very cheap), I can ask my friend or dad to get the work done and sent to me. Any suggestions on designs, definetely male, no flowers, and also, no skulls or naked girls. I need the bike to look cool and decent.

few thoughts and will update soon:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._458248168481_730083481_5417758_7248417_n.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg Photo by zoomzoommo | Photobucket

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-...-triple-r/2013-triumph-street-triple-r-03.jpg

I just found my brother of other mother:
http://www.nationalsuperbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/tn_img_7706.jpg
same thoughts for radiator cover with red.

YAMAHA FZ6 S2 - Image #2

on the other hand, this looks cool.
http://i.sawblade-tx.com/pretty2.jpg

GREGLOUS

Reaction score
Visit site
There's really not any need for extreme prep work other than cleaning whatever it is that you choose to paint. The plastidip peels right off if you want it to. There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing this. As far as plastidip going on hot parts, I've never seen it done. I wonder if it will hold up to the heat? By the way I grew up in Southpark! So hello neighbor!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
There's really not any need for extreme prep work other than cleaning whatever it is that you choose to paint. The plastidip peels right off if you want it to. There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing this. As far as plastidip going on hot parts, I've never seen it done. I wonder if it will hold up to the heat? By the way I grew up in Southpark! So hello neighbor!

Hello Neighbor, :).
As per dipping oh hot parts, I saw a video, A guy dipped his engine cover with red color and lasted 1 year, and still on.
So, I want to sand the crank case and plasi dip black on it, to get rid of the scratches by the first two owners.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing you mean the stator cover, not the crank case. I repainted mine after the bike went down. I used VHT black pearl engine metallic as seen in this post:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...992-paint-black-frame-engine-color-match.html

Mine didn't turn out quite well, but it's still much better looking. Of course if you want to dip it to give it a different look, that's another story.

Yes, Stator cover.
My bad, I was reading some other listing regarding crank case.
BTW, you did a good job.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never dipped a bike, but I have dipped quite a bit of stuff on my truck.

Rule of Thumbs:

-Wash parts with soap and water and make sure it is 100% dry.
-Preferably do it in a garage, if you do it outside bug and trash may get in it and they will not come out.
-I would take off as many parts as you can so you don't have to worry about overspray. Yes the dip can rub off, but some angles will be easier to get to with it off. (Microfiber cloth is the easiest to remove the dip.)
-Light to medium coats, watch the official Plasti-Dip videos they will go over this.
-Depending on the weather it takes roughly 10 minutes for the coats to dry out, but you still want it to be tacky to the touch when reapplying coats. If you are in the south like me it takes about 5-6 minutes before it is ready for another coat.

As far as heat related stuff, IDK how well it would hold up. I too thought about dipping the exhaust guard.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm planning to plastiDip my Raven FZ6 to either a White'n'Black or RED'n'Black. Just tank, front fairings, under sear fairings, bar ends and dip my Exhaust Cover with Black.
As far as doing 2-tone on the same part: that will be tricky at best. You cannot spray it like you would one solid color. If you're doing 2-tone on one piece, tape it off with electrical tape and spray wet coats quickly. But be careful not to make it run.