POTENTIAL ISSUE: Rear brakes

nutcake

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I discovered a noise from my machine during manually wheeling my bike into the garage. The noise i discovered seemed to be coming from the rear wheel, from the brakes to be specific.

I am guessing it's because the pads are rubbing against the disc, and that this is abnormal.

Does anyone know how to fix this? The pads appear to have more than 1mm on each side as described in the manual.

Regards,
Nutcake

W

wrightme43

If its just a pad rubbing no biggy. Its normal. IF IF IF the pads are worn out replace them now.
My fronts are very close to time to get new ones. My rears still look brand new. 11xxx miles. If you use your rear hard it may be time.

wwomack

Reaction score
Visit site
If the noise you here is from the pads touching the disc that is perfectly normal. The brake pads are supposed to ride right up against the disc. There is no spring that pushes the pads away from the disc when you aren't applying the brakes. Essentially the way this works is that when you squeeze the brake it pushes the pad against the disc and then when you let off the brake the pad just kind of slides against the disc.

From Howstuffworks "How Disc Brakes Work"
"Also, since there is no spring to pull the pads away from the disc, the pads always stay in light contact with the rotor (the rubber piston seal and any wobble in the rotor may actually pull the pads a small distance away from the rotor)."

W

wrightme43

I am serious about using my brakes. Lots and lots and lots of practicing.

B

Bo67

My rear brake was squealing too. I do a lot of rear braking while demonstrating slow speed manuvering during a safety class I teach part-time. My rotor was just glazed a bit but still had that annoying "finger nails on the blackboard" sound that has driven me nuts since I was 6 years old. Like all the other folks, my pads look good at 10817 mi so I just scuffed the rotor up a bit with a scotch-brite pad to knock the glaze off. I'm sure the noise is more annoying than anything else; just keep an eye on it.

-Bo