question about tps recall

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
I have recently purchased an 04 fz6 and it has not had its tps replaced due to the recall...The dealership says that mmy fz6 isnt affected by the recall. Although my idle is very jumpy, when i release the throttle it doesnt seem as if it snaps back all the way and i sometimes stall when i come to a stop. Should I go to another Yamaha dealer or is this due to different problems?

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com
The recall officially effected all '04 FZ6's.I think your dealer just doesn't want to do it.You could try another dealer and if that fails contact Yamaha direct and tell them,I'm sure they would happily slap dealers wrists for not complying.

Quoted from another thread said:
Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

What are the Symptoms of a Faulty TPS?

* Stalling
* Irregual idle
* RPM Drop while acclerating or trying to maintain a constand speed.
* Drop in fuel Mileage
* Poor Throttle Response

Originally Posted by Megatron on sportbikes.net
To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/fmc/home.aspx

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
i just tried the diagnostic thing on the bike and i get to the diag menu after holding select and reset for 8 seconds but then nothing changes after that...its just stuck on that screen

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After getting to diag, try pressing and holding select for a few seconds and see if the screen changes.

Blackblood is absolutely correct, ALL 2004 and 2005 models, some 2006 models.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
aha that did it...throttle closed = 16 throttle open = 100

Well, it's not the TPS then... It doesn't get much better than that.

Maybe change the plugs and get the throttle bodies sync'd. Check for vacuum leaks. Check the air filter and replace as necessary.

Those would be my first options.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's not the TPS then... It doesn't get much better than that.

Maybe change the plugs and get the throttle bodies sync'd. Check for vacuum leaks. Check the air filter and replace as necessary.

Those would be my first options.

Ill have to check that out tomorrow mayb...its going to be raining until sunday anyway so it will give me something to do

SilentG

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys, sorry for dragging up an old thread but im getting the same symptoms that has been described previous.

the bike i have is an FZ6N 2005 model. i just did the diag on it as said earlier and the results came up as 16 closed and 101 fully open, yep its past the magic 100 number.

i've noticed most who have commented on this thread have been USA based, i however am UK based, not sure if this is different over the pond. the thing is though i did not buy this bike from new/dealer, i bought it off someone private. my question is how do i go about contacting a yamaha dealer regarding this issue.

thanks in advance. please bare with me though as i am female hahahha

P.S having just checked my log book the frame number starts with RJ07.......7463 . i read the article regarding the frame numbers and they all start with RJ08. does this mean my model isn't one of the ones that should have been recalled in the first place and that the TPS has just had it???
FZ6
2004 FZS600S/SC All
2005 FZS600T RJ08E-0002249~0004781
FZS600TC RJ08Y-0000303~0000770*

Last edited:

fz6pete

Reaction score
Visit site
Dave - I can answer this spot on because I have a 2004 and just got mine replaced, really happy to help. Ok, couple facts...I bought mine used, third owner, have about 8,300 miles on it, bought it with about 3,400 miles and had been running great. At about 8,000 miles all of a sudden the idle went way down one day home from work to about 900 rpms, had to keep the revs up, it sounded like I was on my old GS500 and the carbs were getting flooded :) I am in Houston and, incidentally, took a 800 mile trip to the hill country out west and had no problems, but then came back and bam! it started acting up. It was rideable but would start bogging down after about 20 mins of riding.)

So, I called a large Harley/Yamaha dealership here in town (Mancuso SW) and was told point blank, "We will honor ALL recalls on any bikes for free." So, I took it in, dropped it off and a week later they replaced the tps AND the sprocket bolt - another recall which you should be covered under. My bike is running perfectly now, again, and I did not pay a dime for the two recalls. They rolled it out to me, no questions asked.

Highlights:
- the above posters are correct, all 2004 bikes are subject to it, 2005 also.
- your dealer does not want to do the work - go somewhere else. I did find the tps on bike bandit and you could do it yourself but why? You will probably have to drop it off as it takes a couple of hours for the shop to do (at least thats what they said to me).
- the second recall I mentioned above was news to me. I believe there are some posts on it here but I just missed em. But that one is a bit tough to do yourself, again why?

If I can be of any assistance let me know,

Pete

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the same for the UK. I just had mine done 2 weeks ago - a 2004 model bought privately.

Interestingly, and what I forgot to post before, was that I did the diagnostic and it was dead on spec - 16 closed and 100 WOT, from memory. But having the TPS replaced solved all the problems I'd been having. Stalling, bogging down at speed, having revs drop at random while steady on the gas and just feeling strangled generally. It is now a whole new bike :)

Find your local Yamaha dealer in the phone book and they will look it up and tell you if it has been done on your bike. It's a safety recall so they are obliged to do it. I got messed about a bit between two reluctant dealers so rang Yamaha HQ customer complaints, who got heavy with them and they sorted it. The recall's free by the way.

Oh yeah, mine's an RJ07 as well.

SilentG

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the heads up Jez, i have just rung SMC sheffield who took my details including chassis number etc and the bike is going in on the 7th June w00t w00t. well, if yamaha has the part in stock, if not then it'l be from japan but hey, i've put up with this for 6 months or so, so couple more weeks wont harm.

so finally i can stop thinking this has anything to do with my riding ability and my other half can stop moaning saying its me. perhaps now i can get some better fuel efficiency too as this baby seems to love the taste of petrol :BLAA:

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have any problems with my 05 fazer, but I checked the range of VINs that were affected, and I found my bike's VIN fell within the range, so I got a new TPS put in. It did make a change to the feel of the engine, much less "off and on" throttle, much smoother transitions.

When you check the bike diagnostics, you've checked the endpoints of 16 and 100, but also open the throttle, and watch for a smooth transition. If the numbers jump around it shows there's a glitch on one part of the variable resistor, and that (I think) is what causes the stalls. The new TPS was of a different design, and I think that's why my bike felt different after getting the new TPS fitted.

Good luck with it! Hopefully most of the affected bikes from 04 and 05 have had the recall performed by now. If you're concerned, push the issue with the dealers, or find a different dealer who'll listen!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to do besides checking the high and low #'s is to check the #'s IN-BETWEEN.

They must not skip any and all be there.

This is confirmed by opening and closing the throttle slowly and watching the screen.