R6 Radial Brake Calipers & Radial Brake Mount adaptors for OEM FZ6 forks!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that, looks like I'm sticking with the originals then. It's not that they don't work well enough, I just don't like the feel of them.

Get some Braided lines then...that should give you a much better feel at the lever....

:thumbup:

Jj5cool1

Noob in the Making
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the "blue" spots on the bike before this, they are the same caliper as the OEM FZ6 "silver" spots on all S2 FZ6's.

Hey Wolfman, I see that you have S2 forks and thus how you had the 4 pot calipers. But were those the original forks on it or did you swap from S| forks since you say it is a 2006/2007+? I have an 06 and was thinking of swapping 07 forks to get the 4 pots, but am unsure if it is a straight forward swap or if I need shims, spacers, etc. and also if it makes a difference if they come from an FZ6, FZ1, R1, R6, or R6S (4-piston monoblock non-radial calipers) of course.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Wolfman, I see that you have S2 forks and thus how you had the 4 pot calipers. But were those the original forks on it or did you swap from S| forks since you say it is a 2006/2007+? I have an 06 and was thinking of swapping 07 forks to get the 4 pots, but am unsure if it is a straight forward swap or if I need shims, spacers, etc. and also if it makes a difference if they come from an FZ6, FZ1, R1, R6, or R6S (4-piston monoblock non-radial calipers) of course.

I put S2 forks on my bike, and sourced the 4 pot calipers myself. The 4 pot calipers on the S2 FZ6 are the same as a lot of Yamaha bikes...R6, TRX 850, MT-01, ETC, ETC...4 Piston monoblock non-radial caliper's

It is a straight swap with the forks....no shims, spacers, etc, needed.

ja65

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, recently i bought myself a very high quality billet aluminium top clamp for my FZ6 with Clip-on handlebars, which does away with the no longer needed handlebar risers...

The people i bought them from where incredibly easy to deal with, with extremely prompt service, and what turned out to be a very very nice piece of kit...the top clamp is a work of art IMHO.

I then found out that the same people, GaaSS! Special Parts, also do radial brake caliper mount adaptors for both the S1 & S2 FZ6 forks, with billet alumium adaptor plates that use the OEM brake caliper mounting point to mount the adaptor plates, with which to bolt a set of radial mounted brake calipers with a 108mm pinch bolt gap...but it just so happens, that a set of R6 radial brake calipers with 108mm pinch bolt spacing will bolt straight onto the adaptors, without the use of the provided spacers, and need no further adjustment, other than to bleed the brake lines...it is that simple!

It took me about half an hour to remove the existing calipers, and mount the adaptor plates, and R6 radial mounted brake calipers...

It took Mikey about another half hour to bleed the brakes for me!

Anyone can do this mod, you just need the brackets, and the brake calipers...both are not expensive to buy, and the result is a nice set of radial brake calipers with nice shiny gold discs, and from what i can work out, a much more progressive feel at the lever, than with the FZ6 OEM brake calipers...the proof will be in the riding i suppose.

The brackets weigh less than 500grams, not each, but both, in total, and are machined perfectly, with everything fitting perfectly, they look great, and they come with the mounting bolts that match the R6 brake calipers...nice!

Made in Italy...with a bit of passion i reckon...

here's some pictures.

hi could you give me ordering details for caliper mounts r6 to fz thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hi could you give me ordering details for caliper mounts r6 to fz thanks

At this point - Replace the fork and use the caliper that comes with it. The money spent on adapters could be used towards better forks!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29543-r6-fork-install-another-one.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/42817-best-investment-ever-r6-forks-rides-so-nice.html
04 - R6 use the same caliper as 07 - 09 FZ6 (4-pot) or I think up to 09 R6S use the fork in the links. Then either grab S2 calipers or grab forks w/calipers.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to make sure.

If I want to improve breaking by changing to R6 calipers, then I need S2 forks, because S2 comes with the same calipers as R6, right? So the only advantage with R6 forks on S1 will be the possibility to have front adjustable? If I need R6 brakes only then all I have to do is switch the forks and get the calipers.

That said - the best way to see if I will find the improvement good for me is to ride a S2 and I should see if the brakes will behave better than S1.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to make sure.

If I want to improve breaking by changing to R6 calipers, then I need S2 forks, because S2 comes with the same calipers as R6, right?

We must be specific about the years but, yes.

So the only advantage with R6 forks on S1 will be the possibility to have front adjustable? If I need R6 brakes only then all I have to do is switch the forks and get the calipers.

That is an understatement! - The adjustable forks on the 02 - 04 R6, 06-09 R6S (others too?) is a night and day improvement over stock!

That said, street use, the sliding caliper from the S1 should be fine. But if you can swing it and find a set of forks and calipers (R6S), I'd go for it! Stainless lines will really help the feel too.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
We must be specific about the years but, yes.

That is an understatement! - The adjustable forks on the 02 - 04 R6, 06-09 R6S (others too?) is a night and day improvement over stock!

That said, street use, the sliding caliper from the S1 should be fine. But if you can swing it and find a set of forks and calipers (R6S), I'd go for it! Stainless lines will really help the feel too.

Thanks. I'll start with better pads and stainless lines for starters. Then I'll see how do I feel about the change.

About R6 calipers - S2 forks have 100mm mounting points distance allowing a wide range of calipers available, right? That's when R6 stuff comes in.

I simply don't fell confident enough about the whole R6 mod. Yet ;)

Last edited: