Rent a Valve Shim Kit 7.48mm, restock, return, send it again

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT 2015-01 --> See post #8... Does ANYONE NEED A SHIM KIT?

Anyone have a shim kit for sale? Partial or complete considered.

If I buy it, I'll stock it full and send it off again and maybe we can just keep it in circulation as long as EVERYONE REPLACES WHAT THEY USE! No, I'm not saying FREE, but we could help many and then each of us could do the job quickly vs waiting for shims we need, then restock the kit and pass it on for the same cost.

Plan would be to circulate around the lower 48...

TAG: Hot Cams Valve Shim Kit - 7.48mm OD HCSHIM01

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: WTB - Valve Shim Kit 7.48mm, complete or partial

Good idea, but I don't have any. This would be great if you knew a check is coming up to get the kit and not have to wait or take the chance that your shop has them.

Somethings to consider. You may need more of a single size of shims than the kit includes. Also, shims from the factory may come in sizes not in increments of 5, whereas the kit will only come in increments of 5 (not a big deal, but consider it if you're putting your factory shims into the forum shim kit).

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm doing my valve checks this winter and am willing to toss the shim kit to this (assuming I have to buy any).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Its like $60 to $70... I dont like leaving engine parts exposed and just want to get it done. I may just buy it then restock pass it on...

Ps bikes at 20,000 and has a noticeable tick from one hole...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com

I'm almost at 25k miles so planning on doing the valve check this winter. My bike hibernates for like 5 months every winter. I don't mind letting it sit while waiting for shims but this sharing thing sounds like a decent option. At the very least i can send someone my old shims.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't mind letting it sit while waiting for shims...

Pretty common sense, but just make sure you cover up exposed internals to prevent dust and other foreign material from entering the motor :thumbup: Easiest way I found was to put the valve cover back on and just tape over the open spark plug holes. Also tape the intake ports at the TB and you'll be pretty good.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Bump - last call......

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Loaner - Valve Shim Kit 7.48mm, for resuse

20115-01-06

Update, I bought the shim kit and used shims from it. If I restock the kit to make it complete it drives the cost over $100.
In short I'm better off keeping it as no one is going to pay $100++ for kit you can buy for $65.

Here is an option.
I'll restock it and you can pay a deposit and a flat rate fee for using it. Send it back to me when done. I'll re-stock it and send it out again. I keep your old shims you removed.

So, does anyone need a shim kit?

PS - my impression is there aren't many that are willing to perform this level of repair so I see this idea dying quickly. If you need this, speak up!

I will say this; most of the FZ's that tick up at the cylinder head area, need the valves adjusted EVEN if its AHEAD of Maintenance Schedule! That tick is telling you something!

Let me know!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Loaner - Valve Shim Kit 7.48mm, for resuse

20115-01-06

Update, I bought the shim kit and used shims from it. If I restock the kit to make it complete it drives the cost over $100.
In short I'm better off keeping it as no one is going to pay $100++ for kit you can buy for $65.

Here is an option.
I'll restock it and you can pay a deposit and a flat rate fee for using it. Send it back to me when done. I'll re-stock it and send it out again. I keep your old shims you removed.

So, does anyone need a shim kit?

PS - my impression is there aren't many that are willing to perform this level of repair so I see this idea dying quickly. If you need this, speak up!

When mines due, I would definitly take you up on it. It'll be awhile yet...