Restoring scraped mirrors

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My old single garage was very tight and I was too lazy to move the car before taking the bike out so over the years the mirror has been pretty banged up from wall scrapes. (Never mind the bar end weight and brake lever!)

Any idea what I can do to restore this plastic? I don't want to just start sanding it if it isn't going to work.IMG_3290.jpg

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look at this as an opportunity.

First, there is no way to repair that damage, other than to replace the mirror (new OEM units are $62 each). Replacing may be expensive - but it's also fast.

If it was my bike and I didn't want to replace them, then I would sand the scratches smooth with a 400 grit sandpaper, then continue to sand the entire surface with 400 grit and then do a final sanding with gray Scotchbrite. From there I would spray with Bulldog plastic adhesion primer and then a flat dark-gray paint.

They will look better than new ones. Spend the money or spend the time - your choice.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
U-Tube had some video's restoring plastic like that by heating it up with a heat gun. I've never done it but worth checking into..
Hmm, read about how the heating method makes the plastic more brittle since it "draws" out the oil in it. Not sure what to think about it though, it's one of those things that sound both plausible and ridiculous at the same time to me :D

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So this is what the mirror looks like after a sanding with 320 grit wet and dry (my hardware shop didn't have 400).

IMG_3429.jpg

I found this video on YouTube and am going to try the repair described here:

I got a bottle of this stuff so when the plastic is properly dry I will give it a bash:

1581940336240.png

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Or you could fill the scratches with some plastic/bumper filler, sand down, apply some plastic primer, and then paint (preferably 2k base coat + 2k clear coat). This should make them look much better than new.

Or you could try to apply some wrapping on top of them (tricky to pull off and have durability with 1 piece of wrap due to the small radii)

Honestly I wouldn't bother- unless you're doing it for learning purposes, it's too much work for something that will likely get scratched again. If they really bothered me, I'd just replace them with the cheapest similarly looking "universal" mirrors (much cheaper than painting them).

Japarley

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine damaged his very simpler to yours and he sanded them
then Hydro dipped them carbon fiber they looked Fantastic ...!
so he dipped the engine covers to match ,
total cost under £30 and still has 4 meters of hydro dipping film left ,
and over 3/4 can of activation fluid