"riding like you're invisible" - what does it mean to you?

I had a close escape today, I was filtering past slow moving traffic when a car decided to make a last minute right turn without indicating or checking his mirrors.

Luckily I managed to stop with inches to spare (crushed me crown jewels on the tank though) and the bloke gave it the usual "sorry mate, I didn't see you" (SMIDSY).

Thing is though, I've been riding for nearly 20 years and was really angry at myself for my poor defensive driving. I'm pretty sure I read recently that the most common accident involving motorcycles is where the motorcyclist is overtaking a vehicle who unexpectedly decides to turn-straight into the bike.

The cardinal lesson is always expect cars to do the unexpected and never overtake if there is a junction approaching that the car could turn into.

This is a thread I'll come back to and review from time to time. I hope that more people post their thoughts.

I'd like to read a book about street riding strategies. What are some good ones?

I checked out those links. Twist of the Wrist II and Total Control look like good books. They look focused on riding technique. Although oriented for the track, would I'm sure be applicable to everyday riding. I feel like my most urgent need is to have a heightened awareness of what traffic situations to pay special attention to. That's what I'd like to read more about.

one point that I didn't see when readin this. When I'm sitting at an intersection and im the last in line I hold the clutch with it in first gear, and watch my mirrors closely till I have a few cars behind me. I just have a morbid fear of being plowed over from behind.

Exactly as it sounds.

You are invisible.

Even when a driver looks straight at you & makes eye contact. Never assume that you have been seen. Always expect someone to pull out in front of you or change lanes.

Cover your brake & be ready to stop or take evasive action at anytime & you will live long & prosper.

I sort of like riding in the city... the scariest place for me is outside of the city on the highway...

The "Hurt Report" summarized that most pre-crash speeds are around 30 mph, a median crash speed of about 22 mph, and that one-in-a-thousand crash speed of 86 mph.

This should give some comfort that the Super Slab Highway is relatively safe. Personally, I like the highway more than the battle zone of inner city traffic. I can relax a bit more and enjoy the scenery.

Dunno's post was good... I have seen drivers act as if I'm not there even with a safety vest. One book by David L. Hough gave the account of a rider that tested different visibility options. It seams driver's see us but they don't see us, if that makes any sense.

As a relatively new street rider (650 miles on my FZ-6 and about 2000 on my fathers old BMW-brick) I take most of my cues from lessons learned on the track...the dirt track. When racing dirtbikes in hair-scrambles or enduros (long distance through the woods stuff) there are some rules to follow that actually help on the road.

1. Unless you are making a pass...stay back. On the dirt you will likely get pinched into a rut, kicked off the track, or washed out when the guy in front of you gets squirly going into a turn. I see so many riders out there on the road riding the rear end of the car in front of them. They have nowhere to maneuver if somebody does something stupid!

2. Show them a wheel. When racing and looking to make a pass or just riding tight on the guy in front of you (out of necessity of course) its a good idea for safety and intimidation to show the guy a wheel coming out of a bend or something so he knows you're breathing down his neck. Then he'll likely speed up beyond his ability and bite it or give way. Either way you get the pass. On the street I use this idea when I am in traffic. At stop lights or in slow moving traffic I drift to the left of my lane so that I am right behind the outside of the car in fronts quarter panel. As soon as they check the mirror they are staring directly into the angry gaze of the FZ-6 and they know I am there. Many people (at least in rural PA) will take extra care with signaling or simply just slow down and wait for you to pass if they know you are there.

3. Plan on pile-ups. On the dirt when you are in traffic you basically need to imagine everyone crashing into each other and creating a clog...and then look for your track around. Missing the pile-up and keeping momentum can mean several easy passes all at once in a race. On the street I basically look for every stupid thing that anyone in front of me could do to cause an accident for them or for me and then imagine ways to avoid it. This can be a pretty annoying mental exercise but after a while it becomes second nature. I was lucky in that I didn't have to teach myself to do that because of the dirt racing experience. When I am on 2-wheels my brain just defaults to what it knows.

I know that was long-winded...but I really think this thread will be a great reference for alot of people (myself included).

Safe Riding!

Last edited:
One interesting thing I heard in the bike course I just finished, bit of a take on the "ride like you're invisible"...

Assume that all the cars are playing a game. The game is to take you out. The only thing is, you're invisible. Basically assume that any car will do the most unexpected and agressive thing because they can't see you, but want to take you out.

Just a take on the invisible thing, worked for me.

Back