Rode a Yamaha WR250R Today

D

Dave.TX

I meet up with a group of guys (and some gals) for lunch just about every Thursday. Half of the riders are on street bikes and the others have adventure or dual sport bikes. I've been contemplating a dual sport bike for some time.

Today, out of the blue, Robb asks if I want to take his WR250R out for a spin. Reluctantly (yeah, right!) I do. Granted I'm 6'4" and about 205lbs so thinking a 250 would be pretty small. First thing I noticed is it sits higher but I can still flat foot. Prolly need to beef up the suspension for my fat arse as Jap bikes tend to be undersprung for anyone over 150lbs.

The ride was all pavement, pretty much just around the block. I kinda enjoyed it! Yes, it's nowhere near powerful like the 1200 inline 4 I ride now but that's comparing apples to fig newtons. Within a few minutes I all of a sudden knew why so many folks absolutely enjoy being hooligans on supermotards! Dang it was fun. Light and nimble, a little underpowered for what I'm used to but again it is only a 250. This bike is not set up as a supermoto, still has the knobbies on it but still fun to ride.

Now I'm on Craigslist looking at supermoto's listed... not that I can afford another bike. Where I live and ride it's mostly country with sweeping roads and such. There's a Suzuki DRZ400SM supermoto listed... looks sweeeeet!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I want one bad too. Lots of reviews out there comparing the wr250x and the dr400sm. I would get either if I had the cash, but would lean more toward the wr because of the fuel injection. Excellent gas mileage too. For me it would be a great 'around town' kind of bike.