Rusty water coming from the front end?

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I took the bike in for it's MOT and the tester spotted a load of orange residue on the front of the tank and also on the front fender. I did wash the bike before hand so It must have appeared as I rode the bike down to the dealers.

It passed the checks for bearings and the tester said he couldn't see or feel anything wrong. I'm not so sure and it's made me kinda paranoid about using the bike till I can get it checked out proper.

To sum up: Rusty water splashed on tank and front fender, looks to be coming from around the triple tree/headstock area. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

I'll get pics up tomorrow as its 11pm here and the bike is all covered.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If his bike can be made to produce single malt the consequences are unimaginable.

At the very least he would have to put a tap on it and take a vacation, but this ignores the consequences to society as we know it. I just don't think mankind is ready for the responsibility...no, the scientific theory of alcohol producing motorcycles.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The previous seem reasonable and spilling single malt may look of rust in those parts, any chance you parked under a leaky downspout and the bike is innocent? Although I have seen some nasty grunge poor from handle bar tubes and steel frame rails.

If the bike is in fact manufacturing malt and spitting it out, it may not be safe to consume...

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, I wish it was. I'd be rich!!

I got some pics of what I was talking about:

20130702_131120_zpsb720347a.jpg

20130702_131118_zpsd6579536.jpg

20130702_131115_zps303136d7.jpg

20130702_131057_zps61d69913.jpg

Any ideas?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't see any of the pics but I had a similar problem not long after I got my bike, the dealer replaced the steering head bearings under warranty and warned me about high pressure washers.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you following the cattle truck too close???

So, it got there "at speed" based upon the spray pattern, it didn't come from the head tube bearings, its thick and nasty.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the fairing support stay filled full of water repeatedly and on one fine day during fast acceleration or a wheelie it dumped it out!! OR - something else was mounted higher up and has since been removed???

Can't tell, but is that a dent in the stanchion tube??? Maybe just glare....

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you following the cattle truck too close???

So, it got there "at speed" based upon the spray pattern, it didn't come from the head tube bearings, its thick and nasty.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the fairing support stay filled full of water repeatedly and on one fine day during fast acceleration or a wheelie it dumped it out!! OR - something else was mounted higher up and has since been removed???

Can't tell, but is that a dent in the stanchion tube??? Maybe just glare....

I agree - looks a bit like mud.

Interestingly enough - my coolant looked that color at one point and splattered (not there, a bit more behind but I could see it somehow spraying up there if the top isn't on properly. Possibly you have a little mud geyser shooting out of the radiator? If coolant is old and mostly water, it could form a sludge like that.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you pressure wash your bike?

Kinda looks like rusty water that dripped down thru the frame where the triple tree goes thru as it seems to start in that area.

If the bearings are old/haven't been lubed (their known to not have a lot of lube on them from the factory).

Also, as posted above, look around that area inside the area for something swapped out (aftermarket) that's rusting badly, dripped into a crevice, then blew out once underway...

Its definitly ahead of the radiator and up from there.

If you don't find anything, wipe it off real good and go for a ride. Then closely inspect. If still nothing, let it cool down, gently rinse with water (as if it rained), then go for another ride, it should show itself again as nothings been fixed..

Last edited:

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a normal hose with a foam gun attachment. It's an 04 with 24k miles on the clock used in all weathers, the bearings aren't that costly so I might just replace them.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the same colour as my steering head bearing when I removed it. Money says yours looks similiar.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I say you taste it.....could rule out allot of possibilities.
:thumbup:

:spank: :spank: :rof: :rof: :rof: :rof:

Good one!!

After tasting it, clean it off and admire how it looks! I might have to repent; wind could do strange things behind the fairing. . . But it looks like it came from somewhere other than the stem. :don'tknow:

PS - with a the supplied allen wrench, remove the inner fairing, disconnect the two wire harness plugs and then remove the two 12 mm bolts between the triple clamps and the whole fairing comes off in 5 minutes for a thorough cleaning and inspection.... The bolts will hold the fairing, get the nuts off (RS), leaving the top bolt in, hold the fairing in one hand and pull the bolt - set the fairing on the ground!

Like so....
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: