S2 over S1 parts?

Y

yourebarred

I bought a 2006 FZ6 (5VX) and have done a couple of mods.
Puig screen
R&G crash bobbins and tail tidy
LED rear indicators
Beowulf exhaust
FZ1 handlebar
Bd43 headlight mod

And a few necessary upgrades and maintenance jobs
Denka battery
HEL brake lines
Flushed coolant, changed oil inc filter, air filter, spark plugs
Zx10 regulator rectifier
Greased steering head bearings
Fork oil and seals

So to get to my point, I was just about to drop the swingarm to grease the pivot bolt when I read that some folk had swopped for a s2 part, mostly for the improved chain adjusters? I've sourced a local guy breaking an s2 who will sell me the parts for a v good deal compared to fleabay.
It's black where mine is silver but I've tried to imagine it and think it's ok, might try some photo jiggerypokery to mock it up.

The question I've been aiming for over the last two paragraphs is this;
Are there any s2 parts that I should buy off him that are direct upgrades?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself the S2 front brake calipers, they're an improvement with 4 pistons each. Someone recently upgraded their S1 instrument cluster to an S2 one as well, so its possible if you like the look of the new one better.

Y

yourebarred

Given that I've just flushed the brake system, put on new braided lines and changed the seals etc, it's biting really sharp just now so will probably pass on calipers..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Given that I've just flushed the brake system, put on new braided lines and changed the seals etc, it's biting really sharp just now so will probably pass on calipers..

Plus you need the forks to mount them! :(
If however, you can get them for cheap AND you find some R6 forks = SET! :thumbup:

Y

yourebarred

quick question for anyone who has done this mod - the sale includes the swingarm, chain adjusters and the swingarm spindle [axle] but not the rear wheel spindle [axle] - can I reuse my s1 or do I need that too?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
quick question for anyone who has done this mod - the sale includes the swingarm, chain adjusters and the swingarm spindle [axle] but not the rear wheel spindle [axle] - can I reuse my s1 or do I need that too?

Pretty sure they are - you can go to ronayers.com, boats.net or another parts fiche and verify part numbers are the same from S1 to S2. Number 19 on the rear wheel would be a concern and the pivot bolt # 25.
So do a wear used on these:
19 90387-28001-00 COLLAR
25 5SL-25381-10-00 AXLE, WHEEL

2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC Yamaha Motorcycle REAR ARM Diagram and Parts
2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC Yamaha Motorcycle REAR WHEEL Diagram and Parts

Looks like for certain you need #25 the pivot bolt, but I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Y

yourebarred

Ah yes, forgot about microfiche for a minute there. Looks like the pivot shaft is the same but the rear axle I will need to buy from him.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
If you search on here, someone found a cheap spray paint that's a near identical match to the silver frame on your bike, if you wanted to go that route.

Y

yourebarred

Think I'll fit it and see how it looks first as paint costs more than the parts! I wonder if anyone has done this already and has a real photo?

The swop isn't worth It on price or effort Matt? Have you done it?

Y

yourebarred

So I swopped swingarms with surprising results - I love the black swingarm with the rest of the frame silver. Absolutely no discernible performance difference at all. Might make adjusting the chain very slightly easier. Very slightly.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine pulled massive wheelies thru 4th and was much faster ..... Actually didn't notice much difference but was much easier to adjust the chain, align and keep aligned. I liked the look of the black swingarm also, photos don't really capture the look but it kind fades away and makes the frame and motor pop out (visually) more.