• The DIY seat

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The main difference between the stock seat and the Yamaha lowered seat, which I have is that the sides are a lot rounder and it is slighlty lower in the dip.

If I was doing this to my stock seat I would start by rounding the sides and see how that goes.

Steve

M

mustang183

I shaved the seat on my wifes fz6 and added some memory foam to take up the empty space under the cover. It looks alot better and makes it more comfortable.

M

mustang183

I forgot to mention, I found the cheap plastic Black & Decker staple guns work the best for re-installing the cover. It uses thinner staples than the normal heavy duty staple guns, plus it was only $10 and included staples!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I shaved the seat on my wifes fz6 and added some memory foam to take up the empty space under the cover. It looks alot better and makes it more comfortable.
Yeah I need some squashier foam really! I'm going to try a gel pad and a sheepskin on top of it for longer journeys. Maybe in a bit, I'll try replacing the existing foam with some better, less firm stuff.

troyw

Reaction score
Visit site
So, where can I find this Yamaha lowered seat?
I've got some upholstery places locally, but after the job that they did
on my VTX stock seat, I don't have any confidence left. The area of Georgia
I live in doesn't seem high on the list for competent businesses.
Besides a Corbin, is the Yamaha lowered seat really better than the stocker?
I'm 5' 6" tall. I decided against lowering the suspension, but a lower seat
would be nice.

- Troy

C

catfishfz6

Great Post, I went for this myself and it is the way I have wanted my seat since I've owned my 06 fz. The slant into the gas tank drove me crazy on long rides and I shaved the foam out to make it nice and flat.

Again Thanks for showing the step by step photos of this mod. What a great idea that made a huge difference!!!
My bike is set up how I want it now!

My other mods are - scorpion stainless pipes, genmar bar risers, gustaffson tall windshield.

Ride safe
Tim

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Great Post, I went for this myself and it is the way I have wanted my seat since I've owned my 06 fz. The slant into the gas tank drove me crazy on long rides and I shaved the foam out to make it nice and flat.

Again Thanks for showing the step by step photos of this mod. What a great idea that made a huge difference!!!
My bike is set up how I want it now!

My other mods are - scorpion stainless pipes, genmar bar risers, gustaffson tall windshield.

Ride safe
Tim
I found the seat uncomfortable as stock and it's probably a little worse with this mod on long rides. I've bought a gel pad I'm going to try and if I like it, I will put it under the seat cover. I'm also considering lighter foam and a sheepskin pad (although they're really hard to find in the UK).

COULD AN ADMIN CLOSE THE POLL PLEASE? I'M BORED OF THIS NOW! :D

Last edited:

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
What about the fully customisable option from Seatster? Costs a fortune, so much so that you have to get a quote but you can specifiy everything from piping to materials and even a stitched-in logo!

Good job mate *thumbs*

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been working on this mod for the past week, in between work and other stuff.
My main reason for doing it was that I hated the stock seat, as it was badly shaped, and would cut into my legs, and also the height meant I couldn't flat foot it. It made it tricky moving around on gravel surfaces.
I used a drill with a sanding disc to round down the edges and take some meat out of the base, and it turned out pretty well.
The only problem I had was finding a good staple gun to bang in the staples!
I bought a cheapy, but that didn't cut it, so back to the hardware store. The salesman grabbed an electric one, and said this was what I needed. I brought along my box of staples (504 I think...6mm long), and he loaded up the gun. The first staple jammed! I laughed as he struggled to get the staple out, and couldn't.
Turns out my staples were a bit too wide for the gun, despite saying it was compatable. He ended up having to send it back to the manufacturers.
It was their demo model, so it was probably shagged out anyway.
Anyway I got a heavy duty hand staple gun and that did the job.
Tomorrow I get to test out the results, but prelim testing shows it to be a cheap improvement (apart from the cost of the staple gun!)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been working on this mod for the past week, in between work and other stuff.
My main reason for doing it was that I hated the stock seat, as it was badly shaped, and would cut into my legs, and also the height meant I couldn't flat foot it. It made it tricky moving around on gravel surfaces.
I used a drill with a sanding disc to round down the edges and take some meat out of the base, and it turned out pretty well.
The only problem I had was finding a good staple gun to bang in the staples!
I bought a cheapy, but that didn't cut it, so back to the hardware store. The salesman grabbed an electric one, and said this was what I needed. I brought along my box of staples (504 I think...6mm long), and he loaded up the gun. The first staple jammed! I laughed as he struggled to get the staple out, and couldn't.
Turns out my staples were a bit too wide for the gun, despite saying it was compatable. He ended up having to send it back to the manufacturers.
It was their demo model, so it was probably shagged out anyway.
Anyway I got a heavy duty hand staple gun and that did the job.
Tomorrow I get to test out the results, but prelim testing shows it to be a cheap improvement (apart from the cost of the staple gun!)
Kewl! Got any pics for comparison???

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Cant agree with you more.
Although I dont need height reduction I want to sit further back and not resting on my nads.
Infact Ive ended up at doctors with prostate probs so I will be modifying ASAP.
TBH although the old seat was harder it didnt slope as much and seemed wider so Ive bought one second hand to see if it helps.

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Stryken. Had to stop as some folks are coming over soon, but have got all the major cutting done, and am going to go out for a ride tomorrow to test it before doing the smoothing and re-tacking. We've already tested the staple gun, so I know that works ok into the plastic.

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was easy, and what a difference it has made. Big thanks for Sanger_A2 for posting the original thread. Can't believe how much more comfortable I am now on rough ground, hill starts, etc. I'm thinking of adjusting the gear change lever again as I've been getting a few dodgy gear changes, probably because it has changed my leg and foot angles a bit, but the seat still seems very comfortable. And all for a $3.50 new box of staples :D

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that was easy, and what a difference it has made. Big thanks for Sanger_A2 for posting the original thread. Can't believe how much more comfortable I am now on rough ground, hill starts, etc. I'm thinking of adjusting the gear change lever again as I've been getting a few dodgy gear changes, probably because it has changed my leg and foot angles a bit, but the seat still seems very comfortable. And all for a $3.50 new box of staples :D

Hi Fazrrr Girl, glad to hear you had success with the seat mod. I've been quite happy with mine so far, but haven't done any long trips to test it out yet.
When I was in a big Yamaha dealership I noticed the new FZ6 Fazers having the new styled seat (which looked really nice, it felt different foam underneath a new covering), while the lower spec 600cc Diversion being fitted with the older style (2004-2006 I think series 1).

I enquired about getting the new seat for my 2005 Fazer (which I think they call the Comfort seat, or something like that!) and it would cost about $400, so I declined, happy that I tackled some seat reshaping at home!

Thanks to Sanger_A2 too, for the original thread that inspired us!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fazrrr Girl, glad to hear you had success with the seat mod. I've been quite happy with mine so far, but haven't done any long trips to test it out yet.
When I was in a big Yamaha dealership I noticed the new FZ6 Fazers having the new styled seat (which looked really nice, it felt different foam underneath a new covering), while the lower spec 600cc Diversion being fitted with the older style (2004-2006 I think series 1).

I enquired about getting the new seat for my 2005 Fazer (which I think they call the Comfort seat, or something like that!) and it would cost about $400, so I declined, happy that I tackled some seat reshaping at home!

Thanks to Sanger_A2 too, for the original thread that inspired us!

Here in the states even the Fazer gets the crappy seat. :(

Now it gets no seat at all, or frame or engine or wheels ........ :(:(