Should I use Yamalube?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The oils with the best overall value are as follows (price/performance)
A. Shell Rotella 5w-40 T6 (blue jug, full synthetic, JASO-MA certification, $22 per gal at either Wally World or Menards)

B. Mobil1 10w-40 Racing 4T (full synthetic, JASO-MA certification, $9.99 per qt at most auto parts stores)

There. Done. Conversation over :)

Unfortunately, as this is an INTERNATIONAL forum, no, conversation most definitely not over.

The three oils you mentioned might be good, but value for money is subjective.

I firmly believe the Motul 7100 to be the best 'non-racing' oil.

Now, the conversation is over....

Cheers,
Rick

Stevieb038

Reaction score
Visit site
I Was just about to purchase motul 7100. Which I can only find online. Most counter sellers look at me like I've asked for the impossible when I've enquire about it. But can get 5 ltrs delivered for £44.99. However on my search I can across this study of a few motorcycle oils www.syntheticlubes.com/pdf/g2156.pdf the one that is rated at number 1 Amsoil MCV is £52.00 delivered but only in 4 x 1 ltrs. My gear box is quite klonky and I'm hoping to make this smoother with my first oil change. Has anyone else come across this study. Why can't oil be just oil.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My gear box is quite klonky and I'm hoping to make this smoother with my first oil change. Has anyone else come across this study. Why can't oil be just oil.

I found the same thing, with the Shell Advance 20W40 - so I changed to the Motul 7100, and the box is smooth now.

My vote is for the Motul, based on experiences - but I haven't tried the Amsoil. (the Motul 7100 is a bit cheaper, based on those prices - AND, you get 5L for less than the price of 4L?)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Rotella Synthetic is excellent. It is a 5-40 weight so it flows well cold and protects well when hot. In my CB, it doubles my change time.

See, people today have it easy. In the old days, you changed every 1000 miles or less. Rotella moved that to 2000 and I do it when I feel the shift action getting a bit notchy.

In a bike like the FZ, I would put money down that this oil would protect as good as any non-race motul that even after 100,000, the wear difference would be negligible. All while saving money and being more available.
As Rotella is produced by Shell, I am pretty sure it is available almost around the world.

But if a person wants to spend more on "motorcycle" specific, it's their money to spend.

Bottom line though is the only way to prove how well your oil is working is to get a sample of it and send it to a lab to be tested.

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about to do my very first service on my recently purchased bike. Got 19k miles on the clock. Iv purchased a carb sync thingy and just about to order the filters and oil etc... Filter i'v read on here is best with the nut on the end for ease of removal. Are there any advantages of buying Yamalube and paying the price or is just a good quality oil just as good. Like my chainsaws people swear by Stihl chain oil but I use Oregon and cannot see any difference apart from the change in my pocket. Thanks for your help....

I have to chime in about the Stihl oil. The actual two stroke oil is Way better than other two stroke oils! I blew a newer backpack blower from not using the right oil! I have tons of stihl equipment. It's awesome. O and i use Yamalube. It makes me sleep better at night. I know I know oil is oil