So newb I still don't know what heppened...

• Thread starter Deleted member 2349
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2349

So after a long afternoon I figured I'd let off some steam by hooking up the MP3 and going for a ride. Just a turn where I feel like it outing. So I take the short twisty road that I always end up behind some cotton hair going the speed limit or less. No different today, except it was a large RV. Down to the beach; lots of bikes out today(few waves from the HOGS). Stuck behind some dad driving 10 in a 30 he waves me by, god knows what he was doing but he let me by. A few miles later I come to a 90 degree left turn; OH crap moment starts. So i was only about 35-40mph at apex. I was front braking moderately to adjust speed for the turn(approached a tad fast. I would say mid apex bike jerks and i am not sure if it was reaction or the jerk but my left foot goes off the peg. I don't know if it was a tar strip or dirt or even uneven road, heck could have just lost footing on peg. But I saved from a low side somehow. Rest of ride was just a fun as the first, passed my 90mph mark, new mark up to 107. Great short ride, a little over an hour. Its great not having to pay for jollies. Maybe later in my riding career I'll figure what went wrong, but for now this newb is clueless. My first was easy to figure out turn in an intersection over a manhole cover. Nice little oh my!! there too.

PS i just checked the peg and center stand to see if something touched, wasn't that either.

D

Deleted member 2349

The manhole was on a dry day a while ago. Was at a stop light waiting to turn;middle of intersection and when i got my chance i went but happened to aim right over the cover.

Today was just road, but I will admit it could have been over my head thinking my entry speed was good.

boogiecram

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably just going a little to fast for the turn. I also decided to go for a nice little ride today, 305 miles, top speed 120 while passing someone. I also got onto a fun twisty road, of course behind some slow RV and I have to wait for a good passing lane. Just make sure that you back down before entering a turn. It's better to enter slow and save your skin.

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, try to do your hard braking in a straight line, and then use mroe back than front, (a little,) in the turn.

I nosedived off of enough dirt bikes on wet leaves to know this little tidbit of info.

Also, watch the road ahead, always...

Even when you are paying attention, it's easy to blow through a stop sign and almost get creamed. (don't ask me how I know this,)

;)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The manhole was on a dry day a while ago. Was at a stop light waiting to turn;middle of intersection and when i got my chance i went but happened to aim right over the cover.

Today was just road, but I will admit it could have been over my head thinking my entry speed was good.

I "was just saying" about he manhole cover. But you should try and avoid them even when it's dry. That way you'll be in a better position to avoid them when it's wet....not to mention you never know when one is going to spin on you.

About riding over your head...you only get so many chances so be careful out there. It's 90% rider and all the rider has is what's between his/her ears...so edjumicate yourself as much as possible.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Where were you? Sounds like around Durand? There's a lot of sand up there. Could have ended up on the road.

That and Rochester LOVES its road snakes. Almost ditched it getting onto 590 South from Monroe in Pittsford on the long right-hand on-ramp. Friend in front of me almost ate it as well.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Braking on the apex of a bend?????????
Do all your braking and gears on the approach and accelerate out.

Your narrative makes it sound that all the other road users are dorks apart from you.

The point is that it was nearly you spread all over the wilderness.

What does it tell you?????

Steve

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
1. So i was only about 35-40mph at apex.
2. I was front braking moderately to adjust speed for the turn(approached a tad fast.
3. I would say mid apex bike jerks and i am not sure if it was reaction or the jerk but my left foot goes off the peg.

1. That's a bit too fast for 'round the town riding. What if you found some sand on that apex?
2. Weighting your front end mid-turn is a recipe for disaster. The bike's suspension wants a slight rear load while turning (about 10%). Brake in a straight line, turn in, accelerate smoothly as soon as you can while turning. You don't want to jam on the throttle.
*Do anything you can not to chop (let off) the throttle mid-turn, and CERTAINLY do not brake mid-turn (unless it's an emergency). Have faith in your tires.
3. Sounds like you had overloaded the front tire, got a little jerk, tightened up hard on the bars and the wobble went through your whole body and wobbled your feet clear off the pegs. Loosen up on the bars. You want to feather them, not push/pull hard. The turn is all in your body, not your arms.

All this is taken from reading "Twist of the Wrist II," which helped me greatly with my riding. There are so many great tips in there, anyone who wants to be a better rider should read it.

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
read Twist of the Wrist II - by Keith Code...it will explain..I won't tell you, you have to read it! :thumbup:

+1 to most responses here...get all braking done before the turn...then read the book

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Braking on the apex of a bend?????????
Do all your braking and gears on the approach and accelerate out.

Your narrative makes it sound that all the other road users are dorks apart from you.

The point is that it was nearly you spread all over the wilderness.

What does it tell you?????

Steve

Have to agree with all of this...front brake applied in the middle of a turn is not good, especially if it's a "panic brake" and you grab a fist full, everything get's outta wack, one fork leg wants to compress more than the other, normally the one closest to the road, then it all gets unbalanced, and the front wheel tucks, before you know it you have hopefully only low sided it.

Keep to the back brake whilst leant over, a little bit going in, will settle the back down, but too much will also unbalance the bike. A little bit of back brake out of a turn, can also be helpful for good traction....Well this is how it works for me anyway.

Stay upright. :thumbup:

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
+10 to all the 'read Keith Code "Twist of the Wrist II" suggestions' out there.

The little jerk you felt that snapped your foot off the peg was what I call a 'feint highside'.

As others have said here, get your braking done before the turn, initiate the turn with a push on the bars and smooothly roll on the throttle to bring you back upright through the end of the turn. This will keep your rear wheel loaded.

If you feel the rear wheel slide a bit in mid-turn, don't panic, stay balanced and on the throttle, for if you let off the throttle or get on the brake, you are going to shift the load to your front wheel.

If you do anything to move that load to the front wheel while in mid-turn, it could skid, and then regain traction - and that is what you felt - what I am calling a 'feint highside', what it feels like to almost high side.

If the 'skid, then regain traction' happens with greater force, or higher speed, then you get the classic high side where the rider gets flipped off the bike.

Watch a couple GP races from earlier this year and you'll see what I mean (I think the 2008 Laguna Seca MotoGP has a Yamaha rider highsiding, BTW it's not Rossi, but during this race, he pulls off a sick inside pass for the lead).

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
The good news is you kept it upright and finished the ride on two wheels. Like the others have said...

Watch those manhole covers, even if dry. Any metal - manhole covers, metal plates at construction sites, metal expansion joints on bridges, cattle guards - can cause you to lose traction, especially if rolling on the throttle, like from a stop, and when leaning in a turn. This past summer I was entering Theodore Roosevelt National Park where there's a cattle guard at the entrance. I backed off a little to let a very slow moving vehicle get far enough ahead of me so that I could gain some momentum to get up the incline and across that cattle guard without slowing/stopping. When my rear wheel hit that cattle guard it was like being on a dyno machine. The engine rev'd up as my rear wheel momentarily spun on the smooth steel bars.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am noob like u. i try to push myself a little like you. but i never go at a speed where i cannot see every possible obstacle/risk and account for it. over 100 mph in a turn does not let you do that.

we are noobs. bikes are fun. turning is easy. emergency reactions are not easy. you will crash when your emergency reactions are lacking. slow down. you can still push yourself safely.