Soon to be FZ6 owner, accessories question:

Pittmania

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey peoples,

I'm picking up an 09 or 08 FZ6 soon and wanted to ask you some questions, mainly about accessories. This will be my third motorcycle and I'm stoked to have settled on an FZ6. I'll eventually ride two up, like I did on my previous machines. Wanted to know what you'd suggest for a backrest and saddlebags?

I think the 09 has an upgraded seat from the previous models so I don't really want to replace the whole thing. Are there some good back-rests that work with the stock FZ6 (for the ladies, haha)? What would you recommend for saddle bags? Going to be doing some touring on this bad boy!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
The seat is the same, though Yamaha did offer a comfort seat option for all FZ6s. Seats from Top Saddlery or Corbin are better, however. I think one (both?) of them offer seats with backrests.

I'm less familiar with luggage, but if you're going to be doing a lot of 2-up riding you may want to upgrade the rear shock.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Upgrades not strictly necessary on the rear shock, put the preload all the way up and it's OK. I do find two up riding is the one thing the FZ6 isn't the best at, but it'll do it if you ask and don't expect it still be it's usual self.

As for luggage, I just opt for throw over soft luggage. The pillion pegs have convenient strap hoops and a strap fits nicely under the licence plate hanger.

For back rests, have you thought of maybe a good solid top box and rack? Two birds, one stone and all that.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Much to be said for the topbox/backrest option.

I opted for the Corbin seat, Gunfighter & Lady which I bought new (no used ones were on the market when I wanted it) and I got a backrest from a member on the site. You can see a shot of the backrest in the pic about my NY ride here (the last pic): http://www.600riders.com/forum/i-m-going-for-a-ride-you-comin-/55705-ny106-harriman-state-park.html

The Corbins are expensive so try to get a used one. They are also HARD - or mine is. Many people claim they can ride farther with an aftermarket seat. My butt doesn't seem to be that choosy.

If/when I get bags, I would go with a set of soft bags, probably these from SW-Motech:
SW-MOTECH Blaze Saddle Bag System - RevZilla

They're sorta pricey for being soft bags, but they mount really well using a removable stay.